1. What is the purpose of sentencing? List three objectives of its sanctions.
The purpose of sentencing is to maintain respect for the law and create a just and peaceful
society. Evidently there are sanctions in place which help to maintain this respect for the law,
hence they have objective which:
a. Denounce any unlawful conduct
b. Separate the offender from society
c. Assist in rehabilitating offenders.
2. Name four principles of sentencing
a. Principle One: sentencing is not intended to deprive the offender of their
liberty, instead if a less restrictive sanction exists then the offender should
be given that.
b. Principle Two: Similar crimes committed by similar offenders should have similar
c. Incarceration need be the last resort of a sanction
d. A Sentence should be proportionate to the gravity of the offence.
3. What are the three goals of sentencing
1. Goal One: Utilitarian Goal
- Focuses on the future of the offender, and tries to help reduce the
re-offending of the offender.
- Utilitarian goals tend to emphasize on general deterrence, specific deterrence,
2. Goal Two: Retributive Goals
- Retributive goals focuses on compensating the victim for the crime committed.
this goal focuses specifically upon PAST and not future conduct of the offender.
- In many ways it takes the stance of “an eye for an eye”
- Principle of proportionality plays a major role within retributive goals of
3. Goal Three: Rehabilitation Goals
- Does not emphasize on the sentence itself, but instead the process at which
a sentence is actually reached.
- Involves all parties to come up with a consensual sentence (victim, offender, ec
4. List and Explain three points about the fine option program
- Fine payments is a very common method used as a retributive sanction.
- Many have criticized the implementation of fines as a form of imprisioning the poor
due to the poor not being able to pay the fine; going into default and then prisio
- This is why a lot of aboriginal people are in prision
- The “FINE OPTION PROGRAM”- is implemented to help those who cannot pay their
fine. It enables them to work there fine off in the form of community service.
- Every hour worked is a credit towards there fine, up until a maximum of