Jan 30, 2013
- related closely tolaw lmaking and legal structure
- often set in place of different administrative structures
- reforming state consitution
- each had own solutions for different states
most common feature in political administration was BOULE and DEMOS.
Boule council, executive counil, senior citizns major decision makers. come up with las na propsed
decrees for assembly of ppl to vote on. vary in size. it was composed of senior citiznes* from the boule
that certain might magiestraes were drawn.
Demos body of all citizens. those wealth and status didn’t permit them into boule or magistracies
beyond voting. in small polies, demos could invovle every citizens. geographical constraints.
- most used theatres for assemlies. this is beause theatres were buidlings with big seating
- instinaces ocasions of hot temper and run into theatre with big argument
- case of democracy, demos had more power (balance of power) in favour of demos.
- oligarchy was shifted to the few.
- thus, DEmocracy< DEMOS + Kratos
- OLIGARCHY< oligos+arche
- tyrannies are associated with accusasion of demogogeries. and also tyrannies often associated
with aristocratic…. results aristocratic in dispute with one another
- the magistrates were taken from leading citizens
EPONYMOUS- give name s to the year and months (in case of athenina democracy)
Clan/Tribal- representative of divison within the Demos. so as each magistrate took his turn in running
things, different sections of citizen bodies were represented
Priestly managing state cult, tending temple fiannce, JUDICIAL duties (involve presiding legal trials,
setting up jury, arrangeing judges, and law courts) and large amount of work was SECRETARIALS. notes,
account books, arranging inscription of new laws to be set up.
law making= finaicnal concerns (temple treasuries, bank, rents, fines, tariffs, spending) running state
temples as loans…. bank, intrest payments, trade duties, tarrifs. in charge of spening on public building
projects. (temple,etc) in volved colonial ventures, mining, or other resource type venturs and spending
on warfare and fleets. states took on expansionary, these finaincal concern grow on a large scale with
big revenues and expenditures to maintain imperialistic state ex. athens handle revenue from atheneian
empire and its navy.
- 6th C BC fornara, was the dominance theme. relating to tyrants (#8---the demogogic man of
the people in his biography) being a tyrant didn’t prevent him as elected legitimate magistrate.
- Aristotle talks about different tyrants: Tyranny of Sicyon of Orthagoras and his sons. treated
subjects moderately, kept the lead of the people by looking after interests. there were all kind of
tyrnanies and citystates. Tyranny at Corinth Cypselids. Psammetichus (egyptian name- indication
that aristocrats operating on a world stage**) cultural links abroad. Cypselus was leader of the
people, and didn’t set himself as a king like figure… just man of the people who can be apporached. Pisitratidae at Athnes. not solidly in place (exile and coming back). Syracuse… much
more shrot lived. these are a selection that aristotle gives us.
- Fornara #31 for all negative label given to 'tyrants' regarded in the own day, pretty good guys
where they tried to avoid stateis.. (civil uprising). he tried to avoid this. by sole control having a
bit more firm grip over the situation by cultivating support of majoirty, avoid internal strike.
- real oponents were other aristocrats.* Hippyias was regarded as more of a tyrant type figure.
this had to do with the eipsode where he was Heroized and since in terms of modern
- fornara 39 a. drinking song: probably each member of symposium picking up the cup, pass on
and sing. they acted as coming for panathenic festival. sympoiads carrying brance of mertle and
passing verses. the verse suggest that these singers are mimicking poses and holding sword,
mertle branch. thus, vase painters late century copied and drew painted tyranisite statue…
episode how they might've looked. (mythical momnet where take historical events (with eye
witnesses_) and play around with it)*** elevating man into heroic status.
- #39 b- relate traditional spartans defeat of tyranny.
- main point: this was part of a herolizing authoirty figures. adminsitration was part of mythical
narrative of the polis. just athenians imagine arhchons back in king period. they got a different
way of apporaching it than we do. someone real but deeds- carrer take on special character and
belong to the public. story not just hteres, but feel as if it belongs to the public as well*
- mid 6th