Winter 2018

Department
Business
Course Code
71-100
Professor
Judith Decou
Chapter

This preview shows page 1. Sign up to view the full 3 pages of the document.
CHAPTER 5 Organizing and Drafting Business Messages
Step 2 – Drafting: Research, Organize, Compose
1. Research – gathering background information about a certain topic ! helps writer shape
- search company files – ex. previous correspondence, consult colleagues
- talk with the boss
- interview the target audience – talking with individuals at whom the message is
aimed
- conduct an informal survey – helpful info through questionnaires, phone surveys,
online surveys
- Formal research methods:
- Access electronic sources – libraries, online search
- Search manually – resources in libraries, bokos, newspapers, magazines and journals,
encyclopaedias
- Investigate primary sources – ex. travel to new store locations, traffic count of
shoppers in a store, searching blogs/social media/fan pages/wikis, interviews, focus
groups
- Conduct scientific experiments – presenting choices to audience with controlled
variables (instead of only opinions)
2. Organizing information
- generating ideas – brainstorming, then organizing information
- Grouping – strategies into sequences to help reader understand relationships
- Use outlines and lists
- Document components – main topic, major components, sub point,
detail/illustration/evidence
- Email/letter/memo – opening, body closing
- Procedure – step 1, step 2, step 3 etc.
- Informational report – introduction, facts, summary
- Analytical report – introduction/problem, facts/findings, conclusions,
recommendations
- Proposal – introduction, proposed solution, staffing, schedule/costs,
authorization
- Strategies
- Direct strategy (frontloading) – main idea, details, explanation/evidence
- Saves readers time
- Sets proper frame of mind
- Reduces frustration
- Indirect strategy – details, explanation/evidence, main idea
For Bad news, ideas that require persuasion, sensitive news
- Respects feelings of audience, facilitates fair hearing, minimizes negative
reaction

Loved by over 2.2 million students

Over 90% improved by at least one letter grade.

Leah — University of Toronto

OneClass has been such a huge help in my studies at UofT especially since I am a transfer student. OneClass is the study buddy I never had before and definitely gives me the extra push to get from a B to an A!

Leah — University of Toronto
Saarim — University of Michigan

Balancing social life With academics can be difficult, that is why I'm so glad that OneClass is out there where I can find the top notes for all of my classes. Now I can be the all-star student I want to be.

Saarim — University of Michigan
Jenna — University of Wisconsin

As a college student living on a college budget, I love how easy it is to earn gift cards just by submitting my notes.

Jenna — University of Wisconsin
Anne — University of California

OneClass has allowed me to catch up with my most difficult course! #lifesaver

Anne — University of California
Description
CHAPTER 5 Organizing and Drafting Business Messages Step 2 Drafting: Research, Organize, Compose 1. Research gathering background information about a certain topic helps writer shape message Informal Research methods: search company files ex. previous correspondence, consult colleagues talk with the boss interview the target audience talking with individuals at whom the message is aimed conduct an informal survey helpful info through questionnaires, phone surveys, online surveys Formal research methods: Access electronic sources libraries, online search Search manually resources in libraries, bokos, newspapers, magazines and journals, encyclopaedias Investigate primary sources ex. travel to new store locations, traffic count of shoppers in a store, searching blogssocial mediafan pageswikis, interviews, focus groups Conduct scientific experiments presenting choices to audience with controlled variables (instead of only opinions) 2. Organizing information generating ideas brainstorming, then organizing information Grouping strategies into sequences to help reader understand relationships Use outlines and lists Document components main topic, major components, sub point, detailillustrationevidence Emaillettermemo opening, body closing Procedure step 1, step 2, step 3 etc. Informational report introduction, facts, summary Analytical report introductionproblem, factsfindings, conclusions, recommendations Proposal introduction, proposed solution, staffing, schedulecosts, authorization Strategies Direct strategy (frontloading) main idea, details, explanationevidence Saves readers time Sets proper frame of mind Reduces frustration Indirect strategy details, explanationevidence, main idea For Bad news, ideas that require persuasion, sensitive news Respects feelings of audience, facilitates fair hearing, minimizes negative reaction
More Less
Unlock Document

Only page 1 are available for preview. Some parts have been intentionally blurred.

Unlock Document
You're Reading a Preview

Unlock to view full version

Unlock Document

You've reached the limit of 4 previews this month

Create an account for unlimited previews.

Already have an account?

OR

Don't have an account?

Join OneClass

Access over 10 million pages of study
documents for 1.3 million courses.

Join to view

OR

By registering, I agree to the Terms and Privacy Policies
Already have an account?
Just a few more details

So we can recommend you notes for your school.

Reset Password

Please enter below the email address you registered with and we will send you a link to reset your password.

Add your courses

Get notes from the top students in your class.

Submit