HS 1002A - Class 8 - Tuesday, Oct. 2
Questions on Film “Life Under Mike”
• What were the main features of the “Common Sense Revolution”?
- Businesses should be allowed to operate unregulated
- Government had no responsibility for welfare or for the wellbeing of
Cut social programs and taxes for the rich
Competitive taxes and fewer barriers to economic growth
- Scabs were brought in to do workers’ jobs
• What were the effects of neoliberal policies on:
• Social assistance rates for the poor?
- less welfare/social programs for the poor
• Tax rates on corporations?
- less taxes
• Use of food banks?
- Started running out of food
- Increased usage
- Usually during Christmas and Thanksgiving, when food banks
remember the ‘less fortunate’
- Distributed food cards
- The need for food is up dramatically, and the donations are going
- Michael Hua
• Prosperity of local economies in low-income neighbourhoods?
- Decreased because people had to pay the government more, and
they weren’t able to support themselves
- People doing jobs just to get by
• Evictions and applications for subsidized housing?
- Everyone slee