Psychology 2075 Chapter Notes - Chapter 18: Condom, Nanny, Royal Canadian Mounted Police

77 views3 pages
Published on 27 Mar 2017
Department
Professor
Human Sexuality
CHAPTER 18
PROSTITUTION
- Ofte alled the orld’s oldest professio
- Prostitution: the sale of sexual activity for money or goods of value
- Many poor women were drawn to prostitution as a means of survival
- Woe did’t ejo se, so it as etter for a a to isit a prostitute tha to soil his ife ith his aral
passion
Prostitution law in Canada
- The federal goeret’s itrodutio of a proposed e set of las goerig prostitutio i 4, uder
previous laws, while prostitution itself was legal, almost all of the activities involved were illegal
- It was against the law to engage in activities that facilitate prostitution, or to be in a house of prostitution
- Although the committee recommended that prostitution offences be removed from the Criminal Code, the
federal government instead brought in more restrictive legislation, with the aim of decreasing street prostitution
- In 1990, the Supreme Court ruled that freedom of expression as granted by the Charter could be limited,
because street solicitation caused too great a social nuisance
- In 1988 Parliament significantly increased penalties for clients who attempt to obtain the sexual services of a
person under the age of 18 and who procure and live off the avails of prostitutes under the age of 18
- Police in Canada have often used the strategy of entrapment to obtain convictions against prostitutes and their
clients
- In recent years, politicians and police forces have targeted the customers of prostitutes
Legal challenges
- Parliament voted in 2003 to establish a Subcommittee on Solicitation Laws, with a mandate to review and
recommend changes in prostitution laws in order to improve the safety of sex workers
- Consensual sexual relations between adults, iludig se for oe, ould’t e riialized
Conservatives viewed prostitution as a degrading activity that no one would willingly consent to
be involved in
- In 2010 both the Ontario Superior Court and the British Columbia court of Appeal issued rulings that effectively
struk do Caada’s prostitutio las
- In 2013, the Supreme Court of Canada ruled that aspects of the law which related to communicating for the
purposes of prostitution, keeping a common bawdy house, and living off the avails of prostitution were
uostitutioal i that the iolated that harter rights of idiiduals to seurit of perso ad to freedo of
expression
Bill C-36
- Introduced in June 2014 as a replacement for the laws which were struck down
- It would make selling of sex legal, with some restrictions, but make the buying of selling illegal
- It would target the customers of sex workers rather than the workers themselves
- Results in a fine up to 5 years in prison
- Up to 10 years for those benefiting from the sale of sexual services (pimps)
- Reflets hat is ko as a Nordi Model
Canadian attitudes
- Divided opinions
- 2009 Angus Reid poll: found most Canadians would like to see Caada’s prostitutio las odified, though
there was considerable disagreement about how
50% of the poll respondents preferred that some aspects of prostitution that are currently illegal
should be decriminalized
25% believed prostitution should be prohibited entirely
16% believed the laws should remain as they were
% ere’t sure
- When results are broken down by gender, 56% of men said buying sex should be legal, while 55% of women said
it should be illegal. For selling sex, 62% of men said it should be legal, and 50% of women said it should be illegal
find more resources at oneclass.com
find more resources at oneclass.com
Unlock document

This preview shows page 1 of the document.
Unlock all 3 pages and 3 million more documents.

Already have an account? Log in

Get OneClass Notes+

Unlimited access to class notes and textbook notes.

YearlyBest Value
75% OFF
$8 USD/m
Monthly
$30 USD/m
You will be charged $96 USD upfront and auto renewed at the end of each cycle. You may cancel anytime under Payment Settings. For more information, see our Terms and Privacy.
Payments are encrypted using 256-bit SSL. Powered by Stripe.