Textbook Notes (280,000)
CA (160,000)
Western (10,000)
PSYCH (5,000)
Chapter 18

Psychology 2075 Chapter Notes - Chapter 18: Condom, Nanny, Royal Canadian Mounted Police

Department
Psychology
Course Code
PSYCH 2075
Professor
Chris Roney
Chapter

This preview shows half of the first page. to view the full 3 pages of the document.
Human Sexuality
CHAPTER 18
PROSTITUTION
- Ofte alled the orld’s oldest professio
- Prostitution: the sale of sexual activity for money or goods of value
- Many poor women were drawn to prostitution as a means of survival
- Woe did’t ejo se, so it as etter for a a to isit a prostitute tha to soil his ife ith his aral
passion
Prostitution law in Canada
- The federal goeret’s itrodutio of a proposed e set of las goerig prostitutio i 4, uder
previous laws, while prostitution itself was legal, almost all of the activities involved were illegal
- It was against the law to engage in activities that facilitate prostitution, or to be in a house of prostitution
- Although the committee recommended that prostitution offences be removed from the Criminal Code, the
federal government instead brought in more restrictive legislation, with the aim of decreasing street prostitution
- In 1990, the Supreme Court ruled that freedom of expression as granted by the Charter could be limited,
because street solicitation caused too great a social nuisance
- In 1988 Parliament significantly increased penalties for clients who attempt to obtain the sexual services of a
person under the age of 18 and who procure and live off the avails of prostitutes under the age of 18
- Police in Canada have often used the strategy of entrapment to obtain convictions against prostitutes and their
clients
- In recent years, politicians and police forces have targeted the customers of prostitutes
Legal challenges
- Parliament voted in 2003 to establish a Subcommittee on Solicitation Laws, with a mandate to review and
recommend changes in prostitution laws in order to improve the safety of sex workers
- Consensual sexual relations between adults, iludig se for oe, ould’t e riialized
Conservatives viewed prostitution as a degrading activity that no one would willingly consent to
be involved in
- In 2010 both the Ontario Superior Court and the British Columbia court of Appeal issued rulings that effectively
struk do Caada’s prostitutio las
- In 2013, the Supreme Court of Canada ruled that aspects of the law which related to communicating for the
purposes of prostitution, keeping a common bawdy house, and living off the avails of prostitution were
uostitutioal i that the iolated that harter rights of idiiduals to seurit of perso ad to freedo of
expression
Bill C-36
- Introduced in June 2014 as a replacement for the laws which were struck down
- It would make selling of sex legal, with some restrictions, but make the buying of selling illegal
- It would target the customers of sex workers rather than the workers themselves
- Results in a fine up to 5 years in prison
- Up to 10 years for those benefiting from the sale of sexual services (pimps)
- Reflets hat is ko as a Nordi Model
Canadian attitudes
- Divided opinions
- 2009 Angus Reid poll: found most Canadians would like to see Caada’s prostitutio las odified, though
there was considerable disagreement about how
50% of the poll respondents preferred that some aspects of prostitution that are currently illegal
should be decriminalized
25% believed prostitution should be prohibited entirely
16% believed the laws should remain as they were
% ere’t sure
- When results are broken down by gender, 56% of men said buying sex should be legal, while 55% of women said
it should be illegal. For selling sex, 62% of men said it should be legal, and 50% of women said it should be illegal
find more resources at oneclass.com
find more resources at oneclass.com
You're Reading a Preview

Unlock to view full version