PP201 Chapter Notes - Chapter 8-9: Fallacy

120 views3 pages
21 Nov 2017
School
Department
Course
Professor

Document Summary

Arguments from analogy draw conclusions about one thing by comparing it with. Chapter 8: arguments from analogy another thing: ex. So if you are going to say that p holds of the one case, you have to say that p holds of the other case too. Therefore calculators can enjoy music too: primary subject: calculators, analogue: people, similarities: the ability to do arithmetic, target property: enjoy music. Fallacies of analogy: fallacy of two wrongs, when someone argues that since one bad case is permitted, similar bad cases should be permitted too, (cid:862)t(cid:449)o (cid:449)ro(cid:374)gs do (cid:373)ake a right(cid:863, ex. Other countries would treat me badly if i were an immigrant. Thus canada should treat immigrants badly too: fallacy of slippery precedent, when someone argues that although an action may be acceptable on its own, it will set a precedent for further, unacceptable actions, e(cid:454). The odds of making a difference are too s(cid:373)all to deter(cid:373)i(cid:374)e a(cid:374)(cid:455)o(cid:374)e"s (cid:271)eha(cid:448)iour.

Get access

Grade+20% off
$8 USD/m$10 USD/m
Billed $96 USD annually
Grade+
Homework Help
Study Guides
Textbook Solutions
Class Notes
Textbook Notes
Booster Class
40 Verified Answers