Biology
Course
BIOL 1000
Professor
Angelo Belcastro
Semester
Fall

Description
Chapter 9 CHAPTER 9 GENETIC RECOMBINATION Mechanism of Genetic Recombination  Genetic recombination requires:  Two DNA molecules that differ from each other  A mechanism for bringing the DNA molecules together  Collection of enzymes to cut and exchange DNA back together  Sugar-phosphate backbone is held together by covalent bones Genetic Recombination in Eukaryotes: Meiosis  Sexual Reproduction: production of offspring though union of male and female gametes  Is dependent on meiosis  Zygote: a fertilized egg cell  In females, the 4 nucelei produced , only one of them is actually usable Meiosis Changes Chromosome Number and DNA Sequence  Haved chromosome number, and recombined chromosomal DNA sequence  Homologous Chromosome Pair  One comes from maternal, one from paternal  Carry same genes, but different alleles  Diploid 2n Meiosis Produces Four Genetically Different Daughter Cells DNA replication occurs in premeiotic Interphase Prophase I  Chromosomes begin to condense  Each pair of homologous pairs line up side by side in synapse  While being paired the chromatids of the chromosome undergo recombination by exchanging segments Prometaphase I  Nuclear envelope breaks down  Kinectochore microtubules connect to chromosomes Metaphase I  Spindle microtubules align tetrads in metaphase plate Anaphase I 
More Less

Related notes for BIOL 1000

OR

Join OneClass

Access over 10 million pages of study
documents for 1.3 million courses.

Join to view

OR

By registering, I agree to the Terms and Privacy Policies
Already have an account?
Just a few more details

So we can recommend you notes for your school.

Reset Password

Please enter below the email address you registered with and we will send you a link to reset your password.

Add your courses

Get notes from the top students in your class.

Submit