Biology
Course
BIOL 1000
Professor
Jennifer Steeves
Semester
Fall

Description
Chapter 9 – Genetic Recombination 9.1 – Mechanism of Genetic Recombination • Alleles are different versions of the same Gene • Genetic recombination requires:  Two DNA molecules that differ from one another  Mechanism for bringing the DNA molecules into close proximity  Collection of enzymes to: cut, exchange, and paste DNA back together. • Homologous – Similar • Homology allows DNA on different molecules to line up and recombine precisely • Enzymatic cutting and pasting of both DNA backbones from each of the two DNA molecules is required for each recombination event 9.3 – Genetic Recombination in Eukaryotes: Meiosis Plants and Some Fungi • An alternating-generations life cycle  Either the haploid or the diploid phases are multicellular  Both divide by mitosis • The diploid Sporophytes are produced by fertilization • The haploid Gametophytes are produced by mitotic divisions of the Spores formed by meiosis • Meiosis occurs in some of the diploid Sporophytes and produces a generation of haploid spores • These spores then divide my mitosis to produce multicellular Gametophytes • Gametes are formed from mitotic division of specific Sporophyte tissues Most Fungi • A haploid life cycle  The haploid phase is multicellular  The diploid phase is limited to a single cell produced by fertilization which then immediately undergoes meiosis Animals • A Diploid life cycle  The diploid phase is multicellular  The haploid phase is unicellular • The products of Meiosis are haploid Gametes • The diploid phase is restored when one gamete fuses with another at fertilization Meiosis • The Function  To reduce chromosome # (from diploid to haploid)  To generate diversity in sexually reproducing organisms • Occurs only in Eukaryotes that are at least Diploid – have at least 2 copies of each chromosome Premeiotic Interphase • DNA replicates and the Chromosomal proteins are duplicated  Producing two copies, the sister chromatids, of each chromosome Prophase I • The spindle forms in cytoplasm • Condensation of Chromosomes – Begin to condense into thread-like structures • Synapsis – Homologous chromosomes come together and pair to form a Tetrad • Recombination/Crossing-Over at a Chiasma (pl. chiasmata)  Break the covalent bonds of the DNA backbones  Match complementary sequence on sister chromatic  Exchanging the ends  Restoring the bonds Prometaphase I • The nuclear envelope breaks down and the Spindle enters the area of the former nucleus • The Kinetochore microtubules from opposite spindle poles attach to the kinetochores of each homologous chromosome Metaphase I • Spindle Microtubule movements align the tetrads on the Metaphase Plate Anaphase I • The Spindle Microtubules separate the two chromosomes of each homologous pair and move them to opposite spindle poles • The poles now contain the haploid # of chromosomes  Each chromosome at the poles still contains two chromatids Telophase I • The chromosomes undergo little or no change; little decondensation/unfolding in some species • The spindle of the First Meiotic Division disassembles • Two new spindles form for the Second Division Interkinesis • Brief Transitory Stage – No DNA replication between First and Second Meiotic Division Prophase II • The chromosomes condense and the Spindle reorganize
More Less

Related notes for BIOL 1000

OR

Join OneClass

Access over 10 million pages of study
documents for 1.3 million courses.

Join to view

OR

By registering, I agree to the Terms and Privacy Policies
Already have an account?
Just a few more details

So we can recommend you notes for your school.

Reset Password

Please enter below the email address you registered with and we will send you a link to reset your password.

Add your courses

Get notes from the top students in your class.

Submit