MODR 1760 Chapter Notes - Chapter 1-5: Baculum

11 views1 pages
- Appeal to the Authority of Tradition
- appealing to tradition in defense of a position when (i) the situation today is different than when the tradition began (e.g.
Baltej Singh Dhillon RCMP turban 1990 gov’t decision), or (ii) the reasons for the tradition were not good ones in the first
place (e.g. human sacrifice of outsiders; e.g. animal sacrifice bc they’re not sentient)
- Appeal to Tradition is a type of logical fallacy in which something is accepted as true or better because it's the "way it's
always been done."
Why: just because something has always been done the same, does not logically mean that it would follow today
- Appeal to Fear (aka Argumentum ad Baculum (the big stick))
- attempt to persuade by means of a threat (the threat being the essential reason given)
- only a fallacy when force is offered to convince you that something is true (i.e., a fallacy can only occur in an argument)
- not a fallacy when they’re trying to get you to do something
- not a fallacy when fear is mixed with reasons
ex: gentlemen you should reconsider your choice because my suggestion has real merit. of course not as an order even though
i am the chairman of the bored
Why: just because one says they have power over something , does not logically follow that they are correct
Unlock document

This preview shows half of the first page of the document.
Unlock all 1 pages and 3 million more documents.

Already have an account? Log in

Document Summary

Appeal to tradition is a type of logical fallacy in which something is accepted as true or better because it"s the "way it"s always been done. " Why: just because something has always been done the same, does not logically mean that it would follow today. Appeal to fear (aka argumentum ad baculum (the big stick)) Attempt to persuade by means of a threat (the threat being the essential reason given) Only a fallacy when force is offered to convince you that something is true (i. e. , a fallacy can only occur in an argument) Not a fallacy when they"re trying to get you to do something. Not a fallacy when fear is mixed with reasons ex: gentlemen you should reconsider your choice because my suggestion has real merit. of course not as an order even though i am the chairman of the bored.

Get access

Grade+20% off
$8 USD/m$10 USD/m
Billed $96 USD annually
Grade+
Homework Help
Study Guides
Textbook Solutions
Class Notes
Textbook Notes
Booster Class
40 Verified Answers