Psychology
Course
PSYC 2030
Professor
Krista Phillips
Semester
Winter

Description
Chapter Four Notes: • Systematic observational research: differentiates the research strategies from self- report methods o Observation: researcher is viewing or noting facts o Systematic: implied this observation follows a particular plan or system that can be evaluated • By using multiple methods, methodological pluralism, researchers can zero in on phenomena from more than one perspective and this is called methodological triangulation and therefore arrive at a more comprehensive picture • Quantitative research: means that data exists in a numerical or graphic form • Quantitative research: that data exists in a narrative form, i.e. spoken words, recorded interviews or pictorial form • These two are at different ends of a continuum • Participant observation refers to the investigator as opposed to research participant. They are called informants by sociologists. It is when you are investigating something from the inside, as members of a group o i.e. Rosenhan’s pseudopatients • observer bias: occurs when observers overestimate or underestimate occurrence of events • social network analysis (SNA) :enable researchers to measure and graph large networks. • Judgement study: strategy for quantifying qualitative observational data is to use judges or raters o A set of judgement studies were performed by bales • Observational methods sometimes use public records archival material. These can be o Actuarial records  Birth, marriage, death o Political and judicial records  Voting records o Government records  Weather, invention, crime reports o Informa
More Less

Related notes for PSYC 2030

OR

Join OneClass

Access over 10 million pages of study
documents for 1.3 million courses.

Join to view

OR

By registering, I agree to the Terms and Privacy Policies
Already have an account?
Just a few more details

So we can recommend you notes for your school.

Reset Password

Please enter below the email address you registered with and we will send you a link to reset your password.

Add your courses

Get notes from the top students in your class.

Submit