CSD-2259 Chapter Notes - Chapter 12.1: Motor Speech Disorders, Phonation, Vocal Tract

43 views3 pages

Document Summary

Speech production involves the rapid and fine-tuned coordination of many muscles and muscle groups in a fluent, continuous manner. A difference in the onset of muscle contractions of as little as 40 to 50 milliseconds can mean the difference between two sounds. A(cid:374) i(cid:374)di(cid:448)idual"s (cid:272)o(cid:374)trol o(cid:448)er the (cid:373)us(cid:272)ular (cid:272)oordi(cid:374)atio(cid:374) i(cid:374)(cid:448)ol(cid:448)ed i(cid:374) produ(cid:272)i(cid:374)g spee(cid:272)h is called speech motor control. What is a motor speech disorder: an impairment of speech production cause by defects of the neuromuscular system, the motor control system, or both. A motor speech disorder does not result from other disorders. Language impairment and phonological disorders may co-occur with a motor speech disorder: systems of speech production. Involves four major system, respiratory, phonatory, resonatory, and articulatory systems. Utterances require stress assignment on some syllables and words. Pulmonary mechanism- creates airflow by pushing air out of the lungs through the trachea, or windpipe, using various muscle groups: most important for producing airflow.

Get access

Grade+20% off
$8 USD/m$10 USD/m
Billed $96 USD annually
Grade+
Homework Help
Study Guides
Textbook Solutions
Class Notes
Textbook Notes
Booster Class
40 Verified Answers