COMM 1000 Chapter Notes - Chapter 11/12: The Slippery Slope, Ad Hominem, Listerine

69 views4 pages

Document Summary

Deductive reasoning: an argument that reasons from known premises to an inevitable conclusion. Categorical syllogism: a syllogism in which the argument is based on membership in a group. Disjunctive syllogism: a syllogism in which the major premise includes two or more mutually exclusive alternatives. This key will either unlock my house or car. Conditional syllogism: a syllogism in which the major premise contains a hypothetical condition and its outcome. If i take the bus home, then i will save money on transportation. Inductive reasoning: an argument that comes to a probable, instead of an absolute conclusion. Small pieces of information broad conclusion. Ex. using polls to make conclusions about large populations. Reasoning by cause: arguments that claim one event or factor produces an effect. Necessary cause: a cause that must be present for an effect to happen. Ex. must be lower than 32 degrees for water to freeze. Sufficient cause: a cause that can produce the effect in question.

Get access

Grade+20% off
$8 USD/m$10 USD/m
Billed $96 USD annually
Grade+
Homework Help
Study Guides
Textbook Solutions
Class Notes
Textbook Notes
Booster Class
40 Verified Answers