Psychology and Neuroscience
Course
PSYC 2606
Professor
Christopher Loersch
Semester
Spring

Description
Marlee Lederer Social Psych Exam 3 - Chapters 3, 6, & 10 Chapter 10: Relationships and Attraction Characterizing Relationships ● Social Isolation Leads to Social Impairments ○ The rhesus monkeys in Harlow’s classic experiments, provided with mother surrogates in the form of props resembling monkeys but otherwise reared in isolation, showed significant social deficiencies in adolescence. ● Universality of Relationships ○ Siblings in different cultures all play, support, and fight with each other, although the specific kinds of play, support, and conflict may vary according to the culture. ○ Parents in different cultures show similar kinds of attachment behaviors, including patterns of touch and eye contact. ● The Need to Belong ○ Evolutionary basis for the need to belong → not only do elephant parents feed and protect young elephants, but they teach them appropriate social behavior that enables them to live in groups. If the young elephants grow up without adults, they are likely to become antisocial and aggressive and have difficulty living groups. ● Communal relationship: a relationship in which the individuals feel a special responsibility for one another and vie and receive according to the principle of need; such relationships are often long term. ● Exchange relationship: a relationship in which individuals felt little responsibility toward one another; giving and receiving are governed by concerns about equity and reciprocity; such relationships are usually short term. ● Social exchange theory: a theory based on the idea that how people feel about a relationship depends on their assessments of its costs and rewards. ● Comparison level: expectations about what people think they deserve or expect to get out of a relationship. ● Comparison level for alternatives: expectations about what people think they can get out of alternative relationships. ○ Spending less time with someone and more time with someone else because of the expected rewards and/or consequences that are likely to come from the relationships. ● Equity theory: a theory that maintains that people are motivated to pursue fairness, or equity, in their relationship; a relationship is considered equitable when the benefits are proportionate to the effort both people put into it. ● Attachment theory: the idea that early attachments with parents and other caregivers can shape relationships for a person’s whole life. ● Types of Attachment ○ Secure → I find it relatively easy to get close to others and am comfortable depending on them and having them depend on me. I don’t often worry about being abandoned or about someone getting too close. ○ Avoidant → I am somewhat uncomfortable being close; I find it difficult to trust them completely, difficult to allow myself to depend on them. I am nervous when anyone gets too close, and often, love partners want me to be more intimate than I feel comfortable being. ○ Anxious-ambivalent → I find that others are reluctant to get as close as I would like. I often worry that my partner doesn’t really love me or won’t stay with me. I want to merge completely with another person, and this desire sometimes scares people away. ● Anxiety dimension of attachment: a facet of attachment that captures the degree to which a person is worried about rejection and abandonment by relationship partners. ● Avoidance dimension of attachment: a facet of attachment that captures the degree to which a person is comfortable with intimacy and dependence on relationship partners. ● Looking back → Relationships are essential to daily social functioning. The need to belong is an evolved, universal motive that shapes our thoughts and actions; if not satisfied, that need can have highly negative consequences for our well-being. In communal relationships, generally long term, people are concerned with each other’s needs; in contrast, exchange relationships, generally short term, are governed by concerns over equity and reciprocity. According to social exchange theory, people want interactions in which rewards exceed costs; satisfaction with
More Less

Related notes for PSYC 2606

OR

Join OneClass

Access over 10 million pages of study
documents for 1.3 million courses.

Join to view

OR

By registering, I agree to the Terms and Privacy Policies
Already have an account?
Just a few more details

So we can recommend you notes for your school.

Reset Password

Please enter below the email address you registered with and we will send you a link to reset your password.

Add your courses

Get notes from the top students in your class.

Submit