• Blues- incorporates many individual styles in their own way.
• Origin of blues are said to be in the 19th century.
• Slaves looking for notes in the western scales, cant find it, so they added different
notes to Crete different sounds
• Blues are sung by individuals rather than groups.
• AAB structure - completes pattern completes one chorus.
o Each phrase lasts for 4 measures. (A, A, B)
st nd rd
o 1 phrase, one chord. 2 phrase 2 chords. 3 phrase, 3 chords
o Adds up to 12 measures, typical blues music.
o First two measures could be sung by the singer, and the last two measures could
be play by the instruments, also called filled in.
• The blues are sung by major keys – music that is more upbeat and happy
• The lyrics are written in iambic pentameter
• Blue is the color that is associated with sadness, because of Queen Elizabeth.
• “The blues” was first used in 1807 from Washington Irving.
• Country Blues – Sung almost entirely by men and solo singers maybe accompany by
guitar or piano. Laid back tempo.
o City or Urban Blues – Almost exclusively female, More instruments, tempos are
more aggressive and more emotions.
• Second blues period: 1930s – present.
• Blues singers :
o Country Blues singers
Robert Johnson, Josh White, blind lemon Jefferson, Huddie
Ledbetter(Leadbelly), Son House, Lightnin Hopkins
o Urban Blues Singers