01:160:307 Chapter Notes - Chapter 13: Nuclear Magnetic Moment, Nuclear Magnetic Resonance, Electromagnetic Radiation

57 views5 pages

Document Summary

The most important tool for elucidating organic structures. This spinning charge has an associated magnetic field (it generates a magnetic field). In effect, an electron behaves like a tiny bar magnet; it has a magnetic moment: certain atomic nuclei behave similarly. Any atomic nucleus that has an odd mass number, an odd atomic number, or both, also has a spin and a resulting nuclear magnetic moment. The allowed nuclear spin states are determined by the spin quantum number, i, of the nucleus. The spin quantum number, i, depends on the the number of protons and neutrons in the atom. A nucleus with spin quantum number i has 2i + 1 spin states. If i = 1/2, there are two allowed spin states. Table 13. 1: spin quantum numbers and allowed nuclear spin states for selected isotopes of elements common to organic compounds. Nuclei with even number of z and even number of n are non-magnetic.

Get access

Grade+20% off
$8 USD/m$10 USD/m
Billed $96 USD annually
Grade+
Homework Help
Study Guides
Textbook Solutions
Class Notes
Textbook Notes
Booster Class
40 Verified Answers