BIO 111 Chapter Notes - Chapter 42: Carrying Capacity, Metapopulation, Density Dependence

53 views2 pages
10 Aug 2017
Department
Course
Professor

Document Summary

42. 1 populations are patchy in space and dynamic over time. Populations groups of individuals of the same species. Abundance varies in space and over time: geographic range where the species is generally found, habitat particular types of environments, dynamic change over time. 42. 2 births increase and deaths decrease population size the number born the number that die. The number of individuals in a population sometime in the future = the number now + Bd model birth-death rate; +1= + . Growth rate the fluctuations in population size due to births/deaths (cid:1853)(cid:1857)= = (cid:1854) (cid:1856) . Per capita birth rate (b) the number of offspring that the average individual produces. Per capita death rate (d) the a(cid:448)erage i(cid:374)di(cid:448)idual"s (cid:272)ha(cid:374)(cid:272)e of dyi(cid:374)g i(cid:374) so(cid:373)e i(cid:374)ter(cid:448)al of time. Per capita growth rate nt+1 = nt + rnt; where r = b - d. 42. 3 life histories determine population growth rates. Demography the study of processes that influence birth, death, and population growth rates.

Get access

Grade+20% off
$8 USD/m$10 USD/m
Billed $96 USD annually
Grade+
Homework Help
Study Guides
Textbook Solutions
Class Notes
Textbook Notes
Booster Class
40 Verified Answers