AST 2002 Chapter Notes - Chapter 3: Almagest, Scientific Progress, Semi-Major And Semi-Minor Axes

40 views4 pages
15 Sep 2016
School
Department
Course
Professor

Document Summary

Chapter 3 outline: claudius ptolemy (ad 100-170, almagest a. i. Made the first scientific model of the universe a. iv. Planets orbit on small circles whose centers orbit the earth on larger circles a. iv. 3. a. Studied greek, mathematics, canon law, medicine, and astronomy c. ii. Made astronomical observations all his life: his observations made it clear that ptolemy did not work very well, his solution was to put the sun at the center heliocentric model e. i. The math was much simpler: tycho brahe, danish nobleman and scientist, he also was something of a professional student (college years 1559-1570, his contribution was as a matchless observer and recorder of his observations d. In his old age he quarreled with his patron and move to prague as imperial. Johannes kepler: german astronomer and mathematician, entered university to study for the lutheran ministry, kepler"s first law c. i. Each planet"s orbit around the sun is an ellipse, with the sun at one focus c. ii.

Get access

Grade+20% off
$8 USD/m$10 USD/m
Billed $96 USD annually
Grade+
Homework Help
Study Guides
Textbook Solutions
Class Notes
Textbook Notes
Booster Class
40 Verified Answers