COM 1000 Chapter Notes - Chapter 1: Elaboration Likelihood Model, Pathos, John T. Cacioppo

81 views5 pages
15 Sep 2016
School
Department
Course
Professor

Document Summary

Presenting a series of arguments supported by evidence can lead an audience to a logical conclusion. a. ii)something that makes sense: pathos: listen to my message because of the feelings it evokes b. i) Specific examples and stories allow you to appeal emotionally: ethos: listen to my message because i am a competent, trustworthy, and well- intentioned person c. i) ethos is known as credibility (c. i. 1) Ex: you demonstrate ethos by citing a source in a paper for the person"s. Credibility can be defined as a receiver"s perception of a sender"s competence. (c. i. 3) (c. i. 3. a) Receivers have perceptions about your competence as a communicator. A speaker"s delivery can affect the receivers" perception of that speaker"s competence. Tell your receivers why they should care about your message. 1 an introduction to the study of communication. If you have expertise in your topic, describe it to your audience. Clearly cite the qualifications of your sources. Present your message in an honest and trustworthy fashion.

Get access

Grade+20% off
$8 USD/m$10 USD/m
Billed $96 USD annually
Grade+
Homework Help
Study Guides
Textbook Solutions
Class Notes
Textbook Notes
Booster Class
40 Verified Answers