COM 1000 Chapter Notes - Chapter 4: Inflection, Paralanguage, Fokker E.Ii

82 views4 pages
15 Sep 2016
School
Department
Course
Professor

Document Summary

Chapter 4: nonverbal communication: what is nonverbal communication, nonverbal communication is the process of using messages that are not words to generate meaning. a. i. Regulation: paralinguistic features, volume, rate, pitch, quality, non-word sounds, pronunciation, articulation, type of movement gestures, emblems. Illustrators b: regulators, affect displays, adaptors, distance a. Is nonverbal more reliable than verbal communication: a growing body of research suggests not, liars don"t have trouble making eye contact b. i. Chapter 4: nonverbal communication: nonverbal communication works in conjunction with the words that we utter in six ways: to repeat, to emphasize, to complement, to contradict, to substitute, and to regulate a. i. Repeating occurs when the same message is sent verbally and nonverbally a. ii. Emphasizing is the use of nonverbal cues to strengthen your message a. iii. Complementing is different from repeating in that it goes beyond duplication of the message in two channels a. iv. Contradicting occurs when your verbal and nonverbal messages conflict a. v.

Get access

Grade+20% off
$8 USD/m$10 USD/m
Billed $96 USD annually
Grade+
Homework Help
Study Guides
Textbook Solutions
Class Notes
Textbook Notes
Booster Class
40 Verified Answers