PSY 2012 Chapter Notes - Chapter 1: Cardiovascular Disease, Heredity, Behaviorism

64 views7 pages
15 Sep 2016
School
Department
Course
Professor

Document Summary

Clients of these psychologists usually have adjustment problems, not serious psychological disorders: school psychologists are used by the school system to identify and assist students who have problems that interfere with learning. c. i. Experimental psychologists specialize in basic processes such as the nervous system, sensation and perception, learning and memory, thought, motivation, and emotion. Ex: whether a defendant was sane when he/she committed a crime: sport psychologists p. i. Help athletes concentrate on their performance and not on the crowd. Structuralist"s believed that the mind functions by combining objective and subjective elements: subjective ex: hating people who hate brussel sprouts, functionalism focuses on behavior as well as the mind or consciousness. Chapter 1 outline: psychologist william james focused on the relation between conscious experience and behavior. a. i. The stream of consciousness is fluid and continuous: functionalists looked at how our experience helps us function more adaptively in our environments. b. i. Ex: how habits help us cope with common situations b. i. 1.

Get access

Grade+20% off
$8 USD/m$10 USD/m
Billed $96 USD annually
Grade+
Homework Help
Study Guides
Textbook Solutions
Class Notes
Textbook Notes
Booster Class
40 Verified Answers