CLT 3370 Chapter Notes - Chapter 11-14: Cinyras, Eleusinian Mysteries, Roman Mythology

41 views14 pages

Document Summary

The female olympians- usually considered aspects of fertility. Connection with foundation myth of the eleusinian mysteries. Eldest child of cronus and rhea (first swallowed) Fireplace, protectress of the house/and central sacred fire of city. Goddess of sexual love (connections with eastern fertility deities) Major cities-cythera, corinth, cyrus (all start with c"s!) She is called cypris, cytherea: temple prostitutes. Aphrodite springs from the foam at cythera. Her bird is the dove and swan. Only hestia, artemis, and athena are immune to her power. O deathless aphrodite, fancy-throned daughter of zeus, weaver of deceit, i beg you, do not conquer me with pain and sorrow, o mistress deep in my heart . Aphrodite + hermes= hermaphroditus (salmacis fell in love with him and lured him into her pool, she begged the gods to make them one so the gods fused them. Aphrodite punished by zeus (shame with mortal man) Aeneas (their son) -legendary founder of roman people.

Get access

Grade+20% off
$8 USD/m$10 USD/m
Billed $96 USD annually
Grade+
Homework Help
Study Guides
Textbook Solutions
Class Notes
Textbook Notes
Booster Class
40 Verified Answers