American Studies
Course
AMH 2010
Professor
Jeffrey Adler
Semester
Fall

Description
AMH 2010 09/26/2013 Salem Possessed Discussion  This weeks books try to explain why exactly it happened and why it grew so big  Salem Town v. Salem Village o Independence  Dispute between different families discussing how they wanted Salem to be run o Salem Village – Agricultural/Puritan lifestyle – Putnam Family o Salem Town – Economic growth – Porter Family  Traditional v. Modern  More witchcraft accusers near Salem Village while Defenders near Salem Town  Although accused witches live more in Salem Town o Seriously Salem Village folk where haters  SVF accused STF of being witches  Metaphor for traditional v. modern  Lashing out.  Puritans are way too providential th  Reason/Rationale was scarce amongst 17 Century Puritans  Why did certain accused witches confess? o Some received less sentencing  Think confessions like the Catholic church o “Er mah gahwd!!! I’m a witch and I didn’t know it?!?!?!” o A lot of the accused just caved under torture o Stockholm syndrome?  Think food wise: Some scholars hypothesize that Salem Witch Trials where caused by bad grain they had 1 AMH 2010 09/26/2013 Review of Lecture (9/24/2013)  Honestly just look over the lecture notes to use a backing to understand Salem Possessed  Open trade – NE colonies needed new supplies  Puritans stopped coming over from England o Civil War – King William and Queen Mary come into power o The Glorious Re
More Less

Related notes for AMH 2010

OR

Join OneClass

Access over 10 million pages of study
documents for 1.3 million courses.

Join to view

OR

By registering, I agree to the Terms and Privacy Policies
Already have an account?
Just a few more details

So we can recommend you notes for your school.

Reset Password

Please enter below the email address you registered with and we will send you a link to reset your password.

Add your courses

Get notes from the top students in your class.

Submit