Premium

3 Pages

Department
French
Course Code
FREN 203
Professor
Amanda Moehlenpah

This preview shows page 1. Sign up to view the full 3 pages of the document.
Description
Chapter 1 Structures Sunday, April 30, 2017 3:11 PM Present Indicative A. Usage • The present tense of the indicative is used to: ○ Tell about what is happening now ○ Make generalizations or speak about habitual actions ○ Indicate what is going to happen in the near future ○ Indicate what is going to happen in the near future using aller + infinitive ○ Indicate what has just happened using venir de + infinitive ○ Indicate that an action which started in the past is continuing into the present, when used with the preposition depuis B. Formation I. The three major groups of regular verbs a. Verbs with inifitive ending in -er: i. To conjugate these verbs, drop the - r of the infinitive and add -e, - es, -e, -ons, -ez, -ent. J'étudie Nous étudions Tu étudies Vous étudiez Il/elle/on étudie Ils/elles étudient b. Regular verbs with infinitives ending in ir: i. These verbs are conjugated by dropping th- er from the infinitive and adding -s, -s, -t, -ssons, -ssez, -ssent Je réussis Nous réussissons Tu réussis Vous réussissez Il/elle/on réussitIls/elles réussissent ii. The verbs dormir, partir, sentir, and sortir have some irregularities in their formation. To find the stem for their singular forms, drop the last three letter of the infinitive and add the regular ending for - ir verbs (-s, -s, -t). For the plural forms, drop only the ending -ir from the infinitive and add -ons, -ez, -ent Je dors Nous dormons in their formation. To find the stem for their singular forms, drop the last three letter of the infinitive and add the regular ending for - ir verbs (-s, -s, -t). For the plural forms, drop only the ending -ir from the infinitive and add -ons, -ez, -ent Je dors Nous dormons Tu dors Vous dormez Il/elle/on dort Ils/elles dorment iii. The verbs couvrir, offrir, ouvrir, and souffrir are conjugate-e k verbs J'offre Nous offrons Tu offres Vous offrez Il/elle/on offre Ils/elles offrent c. Regular verbs with infinitives ending i re: i. To conjugate these verbs, drop the - e and add -s, -s, -, -ons, -ez, - ent Je rends Nous rendons Tu rends Vous rendez
More Less
Unlock Document

Only page 1 are available for preview. Some parts have been intentionally blurred.

Unlock Document
You're Reading a Preview

Unlock to view full version

Unlock Document

OR

Join OneClass

Access over 10 million pages of study
documents for 1.3 million courses.

Join to view

OR

By registering, I agree to the Terms and Privacy Policies
Already have an account?
Just a few more details

So we can recommend you notes for your school.

Reset Password

Please enter below the email address you registered with and we will send you a link to reset your password.

Add your courses

Get notes from the top students in your class.

Submit