PSYC 101 Chapter Notes - Chapter 12: Fundamental Attribution Error, Ingroups And Outgroups, Observational Learning

27 views5 pages
14 Dec 2016
School
Department
Course
PSYC 101: Chapter 12
Social Psychology
Attributions and Attitudes
Person Perception (11/14)
1) What type of personality traits do we assume physically attractive people possess? Why?
Tend to seem more sociable, friendly, poised, warm and self adjusted. People who are
attractive are popular in media and are portrayed in a positive light. Our perceptions are
swayed by our desire to bnd with attractive people
a. What type of bias do we have toward attractive individuals? Positive bias
2) What are stereotypes? Why do we stereotype?
Steretypes: widely held beliefs that people have certain characteristics because of their
membership in a particular group
Normal cognitive process that is automatic and that saves on time and effort required to
get a handle on people individually
3) Defie igroup ad outgroup. What role do these lassifiatios pla i forig
stereotypes?
Ingroup: a group that belongs to and identifies with
Outgroup: a group that one does not belong to or identify with
Ingroup tends to be favored whereas outgroup members tend to be viewed with a negative
stereotype
Attributions (11/14)
1) What are attributions?
Attributions: iferees that people dra aout the ause of eets, others’ ehaiors ad
their own behavior
- make them because they have a strong need to understand their experiences
2) What are internal attributions?
Internal attributions: ascribe the causes of behavior to personal dispositions, traits, abilities
and feelings
3) What are external attributions?
External attributions: ascribe the causes of behavior to situational demands and the
environmental constraints
4) What is the fundamental attribution error?
Fundamental attribution error: refers to the oserers’ ias i faor of iteral
attribuations in explaiig others’ ehaiors
a. Are oserers ore likel to attriute aother perso’s ehaior to iteral or
external attributions? Why? Internal attriuatig others’ ehaior to their
dispositions is almost automatic. Takes more thought and energy to look at situation
5) What is self-serving bias?
find more resources at oneclass.com
Unlock document

This preview shows pages 1-2 of the document.
Unlock all 5 pages and 3 million more documents.

Already have an account? Log in
Self-serving bias: tede to attriute oe’s suesses to persoal fators ad oe’s
failures to situational factors
SUPPLEMENTAL VIDEO: JANE ELLIOTT CLASSROOM EXPERIMENT (11/14)
- Begin at 3:20 mark of Chapter 1 ad otiue util ou get to Wedesda
afteroo, hih is approiatel . iutes ito the seod hapter
- Identify examples of stereotypes, prejudice, and discrimination
Thik people ith olor are du. People of olor do’t get athig i the orld.
Stereotypes- just the grouping
Prejudice negative stereo types for people in outgroup. Helps people feel better about
themselves and put yourself ahead of them
Prejudicial attitudes = negative stereotypes
Not typically purposeful. If parents have negative stereotype for a group, you are more likely to
(observational learning)
Discrimmination: negative action taken towards someone depending on their membership to a
group
Tend to attribute others behaviors from internal characteristics we do not know the
environmental situation as an observer that leads them to making the decisions that they do.
We make assumptions as them as a person
Attitudes (11/16)
1) What are attitudes? What are the opoets of oe’s attitude?
Attitudes- positive or negative evaluations of objects of thought
Objects of thought - Social issues, groups, institutions, consumer products, and
people
1. Cognitive component: beliefs people hold about the object of attitude
2. Affective component: consists of emotional feelings stimulated by an object of
thought
3. Behavioral component: consists of predispositions to act in certain ways toward
an attitude object
2) What fators otriute to a strog attitude? Viewed as ones that are firmly held
(resistant to change), durable overtime, and that have powerful impact on behavior
3) What factors make someone (the source) more persuasive?
- Expertise More persuasive if the source is highly credible
- Trustworthiness people tend to accept messages from trustworthy people with
little scrutiny
- Likeability
- Similarity people tend to respond better to sources who share similarities that
are relevant to the issue at hand
4) What types of messages are more persuasive?
- 2 sided arguments are more effective than 1 gives you more credibility
- fear appeals
Unlock document

This preview shows pages 1-2 of the document.
Unlock all 5 pages and 3 million more documents.

Already have an account? Log in

Document Summary

Tend to seem more sociable, friendly, poised, warm and self adjusted. People who are attractive are popular in media and are portrayed in a positive light. Steretypes: widely held beliefs that people have certain characteristics because of their membership in a particular group. Ingroup: a group that belongs to and identifies with. Outgroup: a group that one does not belong to or identify with. Ingroup tends to be favored whereas outgroup members tend to be viewed with a negative stereotype. Attributions: i(cid:374)fere(cid:374)(cid:272)es that people dra(cid:449) a(cid:271)out the (cid:272)ause of e(cid:448)e(cid:374)ts, others" (cid:271)eha(cid:448)iors a(cid:374)d their own behavior. Internal attri(cid:271)uati(cid:374)g others" (cid:271)eha(cid:448)ior to their dispositions is almost automatic. Self-serving bias: te(cid:374)de(cid:374)(cid:272)(cid:455) to attri(cid:271)ute o(cid:374)e"s su(cid:272)(cid:272)esses to perso(cid:374)al fa(cid:272)tors a(cid:374)d o(cid:374)e"s failures to situational factors. Begin at 3:20 mark of chapter 1 a(cid:374)d (cid:272)o(cid:374)ti(cid:374)ue u(cid:374)til (cid:455)ou get to (cid:862)wed(cid:374)esda(cid:455) after(cid:374)oo(cid:374),(cid:863) (cid:449)hi(cid:272)h is appro(cid:454)i(cid:373)atel(cid:455) (cid:1008). (cid:1009) (cid:373)i(cid:374)utes i(cid:374)to the se(cid:272)o(cid:374)d (cid:272)hapter. People of (cid:272)olor do(cid:374)"t get a(cid:374)(cid:455)thi(cid:374)g i(cid:374) the (cid:449)orld.

Get access

Grade+20% off
$8 USD/m$10 USD/m
Billed $96 USD annually
Grade+
Homework Help
Study Guides
Textbook Solutions
Class Notes
Textbook Notes
Booster Class
40 Verified Answers