Chapter 4

6 Pages

Department
Psychology
Course Code
PSY 235
Professor
Taryn Aldrich

This preview shows pages 1-2. Sign up to view the full 6 pages of the document.
Chapter 4
Neoanalytic and ego aspects of personality: identity
Carl Jung
The mind/ psyche has 3 parts:
oEgo
oPersonal unconscious
oCollective unconscious
Focused more on personal experience and not sexual drives
Thought he had two identities
Though dreams are paranormal
Ego:
oConscious part of personality
oEmbodies sense of self
oSimilar to Freud’s concept of ego
Personal unconscious
oContains thoughts that are not currently part of conscious awareness
oNot only threatening and unacceptable material, but all non-conscious
material
oContains past and future material
Collective unconscious
oDeeper level unconscious
oShared with rest of humanity
oContains archetypes
Universal emotional symbols
Archetypes
oAnimus/ Anima
Male element in a woman/ female element in a man
oPersona/ shadow
Socially acceptable front vs dark and unacceptable side of
personality
oMother
Embodiment of generativity and fertility
oHero and demon
Strong force for good vs cruelty and evil
Complexes
oA complex is a group of emotionally charged thoughts that are related
to a particular theme
oJung created a word association test to study complexes
oPattern of words produced reveals the complex
Four functions of the mind
oSensing
oThinking
oFeeling
oIntuiting: where did it come from and where is it going?
2 major attitudes
oExtroversion: directs energy toward things in the world
oIntroversion: directs energy inward
4 functions, 2 attitudes, 8 types
oTypology
Each person has a best fit to one type

Loved by over 2.2 million students

Over 90% improved by at least one letter grade.

Leah — University of Toronto

OneClass has been such a huge help in my studies at UofT especially since I am a transfer student. OneClass is the study buddy I never had before and definitely gives me the extra push to get from a B to an A!

Leah — University of Toronto
Saarim — University of Michigan

Balancing social life With academics can be difficult, that is why I'm so glad that OneClass is out there where I can find the top notes for all of my classes. Now I can be the all-star student I want to be.

Saarim — University of Michigan
Jenna — University of Wisconsin

As a college student living on a college budget, I love how easy it is to earn gift cards just by submitting my notes.

Jenna — University of Wisconsin
Anne — University of California

OneClass has allowed me to catch up with my most difficult course! #lifesaver

Anne — University of California
Description
Chapter 4 Neoanalytic and ego aspects of personality: identity Carl Jung • The mind/ psyche has 3 parts: o Ego o Personal unconscious o Collective unconscious • Focused more on personal experience and not sexual drives • Thought he had two identities • Though dreams are paranormal • Ego: o Conscious part of personality o Embodies sense of self o Similar to Freud’s concept of ego • Personal unconscious o Contains thoughts that are not currently part of conscious awareness o Not only threatening and unacceptable material, but all non-conscious material o Contains past and future material • Collective unconscious o Deeper level unconscious o Shared with rest of humanity o Contains archetypes  Universal emotional symbols • Archetypes o Animus/ Anima  Male element in a woman/ female element in a man o Persona/ shadow  Socially acceptable front vs dark and unacceptable side of personality o Mother  Embodiment of generativity and fertility o Hero and demon  Strong force for good vs cruelty and evil • Complexes o A complex is a group of emotionally charged thoughts that are related to a particular theme o Jung created a word association test to study complexes o Pattern of words produced reveals the complex • Four functions of the mind o Sensing o Thinking o Feeling o Intuiting: where did it come from and where is it going? • 2 major attitudes o Extroversion: directs energy toward things in the world o Introversion: directs energy inward • 4 functions, 2 attitudes, 8 types o Typology  Each person has a best fit to one type Alfred Adler • “Individual psychology” • Emphasizes the importance of social conditions on personality • 3 fundamental social issues o Occupational tasks: chasing and pursuing a career o Societal tasks: establishing and creating friendships o Love tasks: suitable life partner • Expansion of Freuds approach to increase emphasis on society and social relations • Aggression drive o Drive to lash out against their ability to achieve something • Masculine protest o Individuals attempt to be competent and independent (both boys and girls) • Superiority striving o Striving to obtain ones power and superiority over inferiority • Perfection striving o Striving to meet fictional goals o Fictional goals reflect an individual’s view of perfection • Birth order and family dynamics o First born o Second born o Third born • Current findings o Frank Sulloway  First born: success and achievement  Later born: revolutionary and creative • Karen Horney o Feminist neoanalytic theory o Rejection of Freudian penis envy theory o Envy of masculine freedoms and privileges o
More Less
Unlock Document

Only pages 1-2 are available for preview. Some parts have been intentionally blurred.

Unlock Document
You're Reading a Preview

Unlock to view full version

Unlock Document

OR

Don't have an account?

Join OneClass

Access over 10 million pages of study
documents for 1.3 million courses.

Join to view

OR

By registering, I agree to the Terms and Privacy Policies
Already have an account?
Just a few more details

So we can recommend you notes for your school.

Reset Password

Please enter below the email address you registered with and we will send you a link to reset your password.

Add your courses

Get notes from the top students in your class.

Submit