Equality vs. Inequality
- Are we equal? In what sense?
- Why do we tolerate inequality?
- Should we impose equality?
- Right: Equality of opportunity
- Left: Equality of condition
See Table 6.1, P. 153 for policy differences between right and left
- Plato argued that humans are inherently unequal. Only reasoning beings can be
- Conservatives (Edmund Burke) argue that hierarchy is natural.
- Socialists: Equality of result
- Liberals: Equality of opportunity *
- Marxists: Must end private property
Liberty vs. Authority
- How much freedom should the individual have?
- Should you be able to legally consu