Concept of the audience Mar.26th.docx

2 Pages

Department
Communication Studies
Course Code
COMM 2102
Professor
Ira Wagman

This preview shows half of the first page. Sign up to view the full 2 pages of the document.
Mar.26th - Concept of the audience
- Last part of the series of lectures on media and politics
- Reflected on what it means to be political and how we can think of communication as political,
look at this question through notions of participation and deliberation and thinking about the
public
- Previously talked about groups of people as masses, what we are studying used to be called
mass. Communication
- many departments were connected to mass. communication in the 1950’s, when it took hold in
university’s the question of who and what they should study in the 1990’s was the key source of
mass
- that used to be primarily concerned with the ways in which communication is carried out in
mass numbers of people
- many departments including ours do not refer to it as mass communications but rather just
communications studies
- the difference between the distinction is in some senses symptomatic, by how we conceive
groups of people no longer as masses but as public, audience etc.
- we now in communication refer to groups of people as plural such as publics or audiences
displays that we live in an era that has many groups of people many individuals and different
identities
- the shift from mass to audiences
- the shift has come about in the ways in which we understand the concept of reception
- shifting the focus from the sender to the receiver
- audiences represent a group of people who come together for the purpose of an experience,
and that experience is usually entertaining
- the public we conceive as who come together around the desire for action, we can think of
things in the political sphere as public meetings or gatherings who come together to share or
debate a specific issue
- we can also perceive audiences as receivers of information
- audience derives from the latin word auder which means to listen to receive a message, the
audience receives a message and as group of people who are there to share the experience of
entertainment
- people argue that the two distinctions between the audience and public definitions because of
the overlap between the news and entertainment media, how celebrities are a part of politics
and world issues, there involves an issue between the distinction
- historically we have seen audience in two ways:
- active and passive
- it was expected that an audience would be active that they would talk back to the actors and
not sit there in silence, in the 18th and 19th century people would yell at the actors they would
throw eggs at the actors, this idea did not give the perception of a relaxed area and it was the
idea that the thing to do was passive, people writing at the time that the ideal receiver of a

Loved by over 2.2 million students

Over 90% improved by at least one letter grade.

Leah — University of Toronto

OneClass has been such a huge help in my studies at UofT especially since I am a transfer student. OneClass is the study buddy I never had before and definitely gives me the extra push to get from a B to an A!

Leah — University of Toronto
Saarim — University of Michigan

Balancing social life With academics can be difficult, that is why I'm so glad that OneClass is out there where I can find the top notes for all of my classes. Now I can be the all-star student I want to be.

Saarim — University of Michigan
Jenna — University of Wisconsin

As a college student living on a college budget, I love how easy it is to earn gift cards just by submitting my notes.

Jenna — University of Wisconsin
Anne — University of California

OneClass has allowed me to catch up with my most difficult course! #lifesaver

Anne — University of California
Description
th Mar.26 - Concept of the audience - Last part of the series of lectures on media and politics - Reflected on what it means to be political and how we can think of communication as political, look at this question through notions of participation and deliberation and thinking about the public - Previously talked about groups of people as masses, what we are studying used to be called mass. Communication - many departments were connected to mass. communication in the 1950’s, when it took hold in university’s the question of who and what they should study in the 1990’s was the key source of mass - that used to be primarily concerned with the ways in which communication is carried out in mass numbers of people - many departments including ours do not refer to it as mass communications but rather just communications studies - the difference between the distinction is in some senses symptomatic, by how we conceive groups of people no longer as masses but as public, audience etc. - we now in communication refer to groups of people as plural such as publics or audiences displays that we live in an era that has many groups of people many individuals and different identities - the shift from mass to audiences - the shift has come about in the ways in which we understand the concept of reception - shifting the focus from the sender to the receiver - audiences represent a group of people who come together for the purpose of an experience, and that experience is usually entertaining - the public we conceive as who come together around the desire for action, we can think of things in the political sphere as public meetings or gatherings who come together to share or debate a specific issue - we can also perceive audiences as receivers of information - audience derives from the latin word auder which means to listen to receive a message, the audience receives a message and as group of peo
More Less
Unlock Document

Only half of the first page are available for preview. Some parts have been intentionally blurred.

Unlock Document
You're Reading a Preview

Unlock to view full version

Unlock Document

OR

Don't have an account?

Join OneClass

Access over 10 million pages of study
documents for 1.3 million courses.

Join to view

OR

By registering, I agree to the Terms and Privacy Policies
Already have an account?
Just a few more details

So we can recommend you notes for your school.

Reset Password

Please enter below the email address you registered with and we will send you a link to reset your password.

Add your courses

Get notes from the top students in your class.

Submit