ENGL 224 Lecture Notes - Lecture 4: Rupi Kaur, Dialectic

Department
English
Course Code
ENGL 224
Professor
Michel Choquette
Lecture

This preview shows half of the first page. to view the full 1 pages of the document.
Lesson 4
How do I begin writing a dramatic script?
Featured Writer: Rupi Kaur
Discussion Board Post: Kaur’s reading from her book of poems “Milk & Honey”
I grew up reading poetry books, and Rupi Kaur is amongst one of the poets that I enjoy reading,
in fact, I have all of her poetry books. The words she uses to iterate her emotions are simple,
and very powerful. Her words are able to captivate the reader’s attention and draw them in to
feel all the emotions she speaks up about. I found that listening to her read her poems a loud
was stronger and more powerful than simply reading her poems. The drawings that she uses in
her poetry books are also very captivating. By looking at the drawings you can almost tell what
the poem is going to be about.
Portfolio One
- 2 DRAFTS OF 1 POEM
- 2 DRAFTS OF 1 SCENE
- 2 DRAFS OF 1 SHORT STORY
Discussion Board Post: Two dramatic scenes from 365 days/365 plays
The dramatic scenes, from “365 Days/ 365 Plays by Susan Lori-Parks were short and fascinating
to read. The first short scene that I read was “blackbirdand it was quite funny to read. It seems
like it was a scene created through improvisation. It was change from the typical dramatic scenes
you read because it incorporated slangs and racial slurs into the dialogue. Lori-Parks also
incorporated potential dialectic slangs, for example depending on the character that was
speaking, the speaker iterated the word /your/ for Y r”. Therefore, leading the audience to
believe that the characters may derive from a specific location or use slang when speaking. The
two scenes had a play on two very different events. I did not enjoy reading the second excerpt
because it only described the character licking something and her enjoying what she’s licking.
Lori-Parks used to much description and it was not needed in this excerpt. In my opinion, it was
quite an odd read. All in All, I preferred reading the first excerpt out of the two.
Discussion Board Post: Anaïs Nin
Following the reading of the excerpt “Little Birds” by Ans Nin’s
You're Reading a Preview

Unlock to view full version