BIOC 4403 Lecture Notes - Lecture 4: Selfish Dna, Group I Catalytic Intron, Mobile Genetic Elements

26 views2 pages

Document Summary

Mobile introns and inteins: mobile genetic elements. Dna elements that encode proteins that mediate the movement of the element within a genome and between genomes: group i introns, where are group. Mobile elements are found in all domains of life, as well as viruses; Mobile elements are abundant and highly dynamic. "parasitic" or "selfish" genetic elements: homing, mobile introns, homing endonucleases, ectopic transposition, how can. Ectopic transposition occur? intervening sequences that are capable of self-splicing and moving themselves within and between genomes. Group ii introns. mobile self-splicing ribozymes that catalyze their own removal from. First discovered in 1982 in ribosomal rna of the ciliated protozoan tetrahymena (see l2). Group i introns exist in protein, rrna and trna genes in diverse eukaryotic nuclear, mitochondrial, and plastid genomes, as well as in bacteria. 200-500 nt in length with complex secondary / tertiary structure. Some (but not all) group i introns contain an orf encoding a.

Get access

Grade+20% off
$8 USD/m$10 USD/m
Billed $96 USD annually
Grade+
Homework Help
Study Guides
Textbook Solutions
Class Notes
Textbook Notes
Booster Class
40 Verified Answers