BIOL 112 Lecture Notes - Lecture 17: Frederick Griffith, Oswald Avery, Antirrhinum

16 views3 pages
BIOL 112: GENETICS
Having many genes and alleles determine each phenotype can lead to an infinite range of traits
Semi-Dominant Case: white and red snapdragons breed pink snapdragons (intermediate between
dom/rec. phenotype)
Allelic Series: istead of haig R ad r, ou hae r’ hih is a peretage oiatio of the doiat
allele e.g. R = 50% red piget, r = 0% red piget, r’ = 30% red piget hih egis otiuous
variation folloig Medel’s La:
- i.e. Alzheier’s; allele of Apo E allelic combinations, gradient relative to risk
- Heart attack risks are related to polygenic traits (concentrations of genes in certain regions
contribute to the risk causing variation)
o Irease the uer of gees, otiuous ariatio gets ore otiuous
Environmental contribution to phenotype (sharing): people have different environmental exposure,
which gives you a bell curve
- Penetrance: percentage of individuals of a given genotype that show the phenotype at all (e.g.
not all homozygous wrinkled peas are wrinkled)
- Expressivity: the degree to which a phenotype is expressed (e.g. shades of pink in a flower)
Contributions to Traits:
- # of traits, # of alleles in the population for each gene, environmental effects
DNA: Discovery and Replication
How to find out the chromosomes contain genetic material:
- Assay: a way of measuring, quantitating biological phenomena (e.g. respiration, photosynthesis,
memory (mice in a maze), etc.)
- Separate the cell into separate components
How to purify DNA:
- Extract lipids and proteins from the cell (e.g. phenol) & grind them up and precipitate with
ethanol
- Frederich Miescher: collected puss around a hospital, discovered DNA by grinding them
- Frederick Griffith: genetic material, live strain of bacteria to create colonies, discovered that a
chemical component from 1 cell is capable of genetically transforming another cell
o Can an extract from dead bacterial cells genetically transform living bacterial cells?
There must be transforming principle that changes S bacteria to R bacteria,
whatever is transferred from dead S to live R is material that causes heredity
o Osald Aer uses Griffith’s assa to idetif the trasforig priiple to discover the
DNA had the ability to convert the R to S bacteria
DNA in Viruses: T2 bacteriophage: alien-like
find more resources at oneclass.com
find more resources at oneclass.com
Unlock document

This preview shows page 1 of the document.
Unlock all 3 pages and 3 million more documents.

Already have an account? Log in
hans15149 and 39222 others unlocked
BIOL 112 Full Course Notes
BIOL 112 Full Course Notes
Verified Note
27 documents

Document Summary

Having many genes and alleles determine each phenotype can lead to an infinite range of traits. Semi-dominant case: white and red snapdragons breed pink snapdragons (intermediate between dom/rec. phenotype) Heart attack risks are related to polygenic traits (concentrations of genes in certain regions contribute to the risk causing variation) I(cid:374)(cid:272)rease the (cid:374)u(cid:373)(cid:271)er of ge(cid:374)es, (cid:272)o(cid:374)ti(cid:374)uous (cid:448)ariatio(cid:374) gets (cid:373)ore (cid:862)(cid:272)o(cid:374)ti(cid:374)uous(cid:863) Environmental contribution to phenotype (sharing): people have different environmental exposure, which gives you a bell curve. Penetrance: percentage of individuals of a given genotype that show the phenotype at all (e. g. not all homozygous wrinkled peas are wrinkled) Expressivity: the degree to which a phenotype is expressed (e. g. shades of pink in a flower) # of traits, # of alleles in the population for each gene, environmental effects. How to find out the chromosomes contain genetic material: Assay: a way of measuring, quantitating biological phenomena (e. g. respiration, photosynthesis, memory (mice in a maze), etc. )

Get access

Grade+20% off
$8 USD/m$10 USD/m
Billed $96 USD annually
Grade+
Homework Help
Study Guides
Textbook Solutions
Class Notes
Textbook Notes
Booster Class
40 Verified Answers