Winter 2018

Department
Canadian Studies
Course Code
CANS 406
Professor
Desmond Morton
Lecture

This preview shows page 1. Sign up to view the full 3 pages of the document.
Violence and IPE
-Political economy approach reveals coercion not only in direct physical violence, but in
“material basis of relationships” that shape how resources, authority, privileges and benefits are
disturbed (True)
-Central claim: gendered inequalities that fuel violence against women are rooted in the
structures and processes of the political economy
-This approach reveals the workings of power in the material bases of relationships that govern
distribution of resources, benefits, privileges, etc.
-Violence against women is motivated by material concerns, desire to maintain systems and
practices that serve patriarchal interests
-True: calculating costs of VAW is difficult to measure
-Direct/indirect opportunity costs
-Costs inflicted on women themselves
-Costs imposed on children, future generations, communities, governments (costs of
social welfare, unemployment, health care system, criminal justice systems)
Political Economies of War: Gendered Experiences
-We need to think of war not just as a singular event, but in a much broader frame
-Structural and social relations that led into war, how they changed in war, and how they
continue to evolve, etc. (Raven-Roberts)
-Reframing ideas in terms of temporality
-Raven-Roberts: to understand gendered socio-economic impacts of war, we need to see war in a
wide temporal frame
-War disrupts ‘normal’ divisions of labor and social production patterns, leading women to take
on jobs (formal or informal) that they may not have previously done
-Illicit economies that can put them at risk, but can also serve as an opportunity for them,
not necessarily disempowering
-Women may be pushed to take on new productive roles, motivated by:
-Loss of traditional livelihood
-Safety concerns facing men
-New incentives created by international actors
-Loss of male household members (death, war, migration)
find more resources at oneclass.com
find more resources at oneclass.com

Loved by over 2.2 million students

Over 90% improved by at least one letter grade.

Leah — University of Toronto

OneClass has been such a huge help in my studies at UofT especially since I am a transfer student. OneClass is the study buddy I never had before and definitely gives me the extra push to get from a B to an A!

Leah — University of Toronto
Saarim — University of Michigan

Balancing social life With academics can be difficult, that is why I'm so glad that OneClass is out there where I can find the top notes for all of my classes. Now I can be the all-star student I want to be.

Saarim — University of Michigan
Jenna — University of Wisconsin

As a college student living on a college budget, I love how easy it is to earn gift cards just by submitting my notes.

Jenna — University of Wisconsin
Anne — University of California

OneClass has allowed me to catch up with my most difficult course! #lifesaver

Anne — University of California
Description
Violence and IPE -Political economy approach reveals coercion not only in direct physical violence, but in material basis of relationships that shape how resources, authority, privileges and benefits are disturbed (True) -Central claim: gendered inequalities that fuel violence against women are rooted in the structures and processes of the political economy -This approach reveals the workings of power in the material bases of relationships that govern distribution of resources, benefits, privileges, etc. -Violence against women is motivated by material concerns, desire to maintain systems and practices that serve patriarchal interests -True: calculating costs of VAW is difficult to measure -Direct/indirect opportunity costs -Costs inflicted on women themselves -Costs imposed on children, future generations, communities, governments (costs of social welfare, unemployment, health care system, criminal justice systems) Political Economies of War: Gendered Experiences -We need to think of war not just as a singular event, but in a much broader frame -Structural and social relations that led into war, how they changed in war, and how they continue to evolve, etc. (Raven-Roberts) -Reframing ideas in terms of temporality -Raven-Roberts: to understand gendered socio-economic impacts of war, we need to see war in a wide temporal frame -War disrupts normal divisions of labor and social production patterns, leading women to take on jobs (formal or informal) that they may not have previously done -Illicit economies that can put them at risk, but can also serve as an opportunity for them, not necessarily disempowering -Women may be pushed to take on new productive roles, motivated by: -Loss of traditional livelihood -Safety concerns facing men -New incentives created by international actors -Loss of male household members (death, war, migration)
More Less
Unlock Document

Only page 1 are available for preview. Some parts have been intentionally blurred.

Unlock Document
You're Reading a Preview

Unlock to view full version

Unlock Document

You've reached the limit of 4 previews this month

Create an account for unlimited previews.

Already have an account?

OR

Don't have an account?

Join OneClass

Access over 10 million pages of study
documents for 1.3 million courses.

Join to view

OR

By registering, I agree to the Terms and Privacy Policies
Already have an account?
Just a few more details

So we can recommend you notes for your school.

Reset Password

Please enter below the email address you registered with and we will send you a link to reset your password.

Add your courses

Get notes from the top students in your class.

Submit