EDEE 253 Lecture Notes - Lecture 2: Watercolor Painting

46 views2 pages
—> Play is important and crucial for development
—> Children are engaged when they are allotted time for play and know that it is a vital
component in the classroom
—> Children grow from playing with others as they learn they need to be nice to others even if
others aren't nice to them
-“I learned from the children I taught that when I allowed time in the classroom for play and
trusted its vital importance, children learned, thrived, and grew by leaps and bounds”
—> During play, students focus on activities they enjoy whether its science, art, math, etc
-“At the science centre a pair of children busily explores spectrums and prisms, while another
pair investigates rainbows with watercolour filled beakers and eyedroppers”
—> Children discover a lot about themselves, others and are surprised about what they learn
about the topic they are exploring during play
—> Children do in fact learn during play even though it looks like they are just having fun
—> Children are immersed in flow - the way people describe their state of mind when
consciousness is harmoniously ordered, and they want to pursue whatever they are doing for
it’s own sake”
-“I knew I would need to gather a village to help keep play alive and keep at bay the bullies from
inside my head and outside the classroom door”
-“Children need advocated for play, while teachers need a village to support their role as play-
based early childhood education advocates”
-“Teachers must provide experiences, materials, and interactions to enable children to engage
in play that allows them to stretch their boundaries to the fullest in their imagination, language,
interaction, and self regulation”
-“Current trends toward standardized curriculum and test-based content have led to an increase
in time for direct instruction and a decrease in time for children to play in kindergarten”
-Kindergarteners today are facing more focus on rigorous academic skills, less focus on music,
art and creative activities, and higher academic and behavioural expectations when they enter
kindergarten”
-Play is what it’s all about - play has become the focus of much serious research over the past
several years
-Playfulness serves educative purposes complementary to those of curiosity
-“While curiosity motivates children to seek new knowledge and understanding, playfulness
motivates them to practice new skills and use those skills creatively”
-We are built to play and built through play. When we play, we are engaged in the purest
expression of our humanity, the truest expression of our individuality. Is it any wonder that often
the times we feel most alive, those that make up the best memories, are moments of play?
-Play has a viral role in well being
-“Play isn’t the enemy of learning, it’s learning partner. Play is like fertilizer for brain growth. It’s
crazy not to use it”
-Play helps us reach our maximum developmental and neurological potential by
contributing positively to our physical, emotional, psychological, and social
development”
-Play contributes to the development of creativity, optimism, and innovation
-Pretend play offers children the opportunity to express many different processes - cognitive,
affective and interpersonal - important for creativity
-Pretend play and creativity are linked - it allows children to experiment with role playing and to
imagine how they might navigate through their ever changing world
-“Children bring the realities of their world into a fictional context, where it is is safe to confront
them, to experience them, and to practice ways of dealing with them”
find more resources at oneclass.com
find more resources at oneclass.com
Unlock document

This preview shows half of the first page of the document.
Unlock all 2 pages and 3 million more documents.

Already have an account? Log in

Document Summary

> play is important and crucial for development. > children are engaged when they are allotted time for play and know that it is a vital component in the classroom. > children grow from playing with others as they learn they need to be nice to others even if others aren"t nice to them. I learned from the children i taught that when i allowed time in the classroom for play and trusted its vital importance, children learned, thrived, and grew by leaps and bounds . > during play, students focus on activities they enjoy whether its science, art, math, etc. At the science centre a pair of children busily explores spectrums and prisms, while another pair investigates rainbows with watercolour lled beakers and eyedroppers . > children discover a lot about themselves, others and are surprised about what they learn about the topic they are exploring during play.

Get access

Grade+20% off
$8 USD/m$10 USD/m
Billed $96 USD annually
Grade+
Homework Help
Study Guides
Textbook Solutions
Class Notes
Textbook Notes
Booster Class
40 Verified Answers