Developing family mindedness within the McGill model of nursing: a guide to
nursing the family.
Overview of the McGill model
Goal of nursing: maintaining, strengthening and developing the persons healthy functioning even
Nursing the family-family mindedness vs family nursing
Focus of care is on nursing the family, not family nursing which requires advanced training.
Nursing the family – importance of family in every situation and setting (family-minded). Being
aware or roles. Aware that the persons responses and reactions are influenced by the web of
relationships he/she is a part of.
-In this guide: gathering info about the family.
Why the McGill model of nursing considers family to be important
- Aperson can be understood within the context of their current and past relationships
- Family is influenced by each other
- Family provides earliest learning experiences
- Can be important healing environments
- Can be at risk for illness and absorb the effects
- Family events, illness, and crises influence health and potential for growth
McGill model of nursing beliefs about families and core concepts of nursing the family