Canada (493,325)
Philosophy (430)
PHIL 242 (74)

2 Pages
Unlock Document

McGill University
PHIL 242
Zoli Filotas

PHIL 242 - “Woman’s Place in Man’s Life Cycle” CAROL GILLIGAN RE-EVALUATING HEALTHYAND NORMAL PERSONALITY TRAITS - If Chodorow is right… - ...then growing up male is tied to separation and individuation (so men tend to have difficulties with relationships)… - ...while growing up female is defined through attachment (so women have trouble with individuation). - How does the world look if (unlike Freud, etc.) we don’t assume that masculine traits are the norm and that feminine traits ? WHAT IS MORAL MATURITY? STANDARD ANSWERS - Subordinating one’s projects and desires by recognizing that everyone has a right to pursue their own? - Coming to recognize that everyone’s interests matter equally? Buying into a fair system of rules that applies equally to everyone? FOLLOWING RULES AND LAWS - Boys’Games: - Disregard specific relationships: boys “play with their enemies and compete with their friends.” - And rules by definition apply in the same way to everyone. - Rules to games presuppose separate individuals who can take an abstract, impartial point of view on human life. - Girls’Games: - Rules are less important than social harmony – if there’s conflict, find a new game. - Interactions revolve around small groups and best-friend pairs: built on the specific features of distinct people. BECOMING INDEPENDENTANDAUTONOMOUS - Fairy tales about boys describe them going on adventures: ...i.e. learning skills... ...that allow them to effectively act on the world.... ...and distinguish themselves from others. - Fairy tales about girls i
More Less

Related notes for PHIL 242

Don't have an account?

Join OneClass

Access over 10 million pages of study
documents for 1.3 million courses.

Join to view

By registering, I agree to the Terms and Privacy Policies
Already have an account?
Just a few more details

So we can recommend you notes for your school.

Reset Password

Please enter below the email address you registered with and we will send you a link to reset your password.

Add your courses

Get notes from the top students in your class.