PHIL 242 - “Woman’s Place in Man’s Life Cycle”
RE-EVALUATING HEALTHYAND NORMAL PERSONALITY TRAITS
- If Chodorow is right…
- ...then growing up male is tied to separation and individuation (so men tend to have difficulties
- ...while growing up female is defined through attachment (so women have trouble with
- How does the world look if (unlike Freud, etc.) we don’t assume that masculine traits are the
norm and that feminine traits ?
WHAT IS MORAL MATURITY? STANDARD ANSWERS
- Subordinating one’s projects and desires by recognizing that everyone has a right to pursue
- Coming to recognize that everyone’s interests matter equally? Buying into a fair system of rules
that applies equally to everyone?
FOLLOWING RULES AND LAWS
- Disregard specific relationships: boys “play with their enemies and compete with their
- And rules by definition apply in the same way to everyone.
- Rules to games presuppose separate individuals who can take an abstract, impartial
point of view on human life.
- Rules are less important than social harmony – if there’s conflict, find a new game.
- Interactions revolve around small groups and best-friend pairs: built on the specific
features of distinct people.
- Fairy tales about boys describe them going on adventures: ...i.e. learning skills... ...that allow
them to effectively act on the world.... ...and distinguish themselves from others.
- Fairy tales about girls i