POLI 231 Lecture Notes - Lecture 1: Political Philosophy, Consequentialism, Deontological Ethics

27 views2 pages

Document Summary

The role of ethic and morals in politics: Ethical question: how you should live (people might criticize, advice, but wouldn"t resent (<= ethical emotion has nothing to do with the question) or hold accountable) Sometimes, normative use to be: what has done is not right . 1st class: what is beneficial for the self, has to do with the care of the self. 2nd class: what do i owe to others? (concerned because of politics) Obligation (people might look for excuses, apologies, and hold accountable) Ex: should our government be a monarchy? (political community) Political theory deals with values (justice, freedom, community ) Coercive sanction: not only you shouldn"t, but if you do we"ll punish you (threat) Coherent positions: political level view could be different from ethical level view (et vice versa) What makes the exercise of political power legitimate? legitimate power (normative) sheer power. What should i do? what should i do as a political actor? .

Get access

Grade+20% off
$8 USD/m$10 USD/m
Billed $96 USD annually
Grade+
Homework Help
Study Guides
Textbook Solutions
Class Notes
Textbook Notes
Booster Class
40 Verified Answers