Lecture 28.pdf

4 Pages

Department
Psychology
Course Code
PSYC 215
Professor
Donald Taylor

This preview shows page 1. Sign up to view the full 4 pages of the document.
Description
PSYCH 215 Lecture Nov 9 The Myth of Personal Freedom: we are made up of all these elements. The tiny snowflake that is YOU is at the bottom. We are not that different. Is there something special about me? Validation. We are raised and socialized to analyze others. “I’m a great listener” people will say. We spend our time trying to figure out what makes ourselves and others close to us tick.  Shaped like an upside down triangle, order of appearance: o Universe o Culture o Norms o Roles o Reference groups o Me  (ALL) Conformity o Conformity is a very basic part. It’s outside the triangle because it is the process and engine operating all of this. Conformity: Most of the time we aren’t interested. We will acknowledge different opinions, but we have out own and we don’t want to change.  Social vs. Physical reality o Prof going back to Alaska, physical environment influences what he does- this is minimal o People he likes, what he does- others are a source of information, social o Asch experiment  5 students into lab to take part in study on perception  Sit in a row and be shown standard line and comparison line  “Which line, A, B, OR C is same as standard line?”  To first student- what’s your answer, I think its line A, is he an idiot? Paid them to say A  Student two- answer A, paid  Third student- paid A  Fourth student- paid A  Fifth student- only on not paid, he is most likely to say A- unaware everyone else is paid, majority of the time last will aggress, if you give someone a clear physical reality and clear social reality, where the 2 don’t fit you choose social reality  If three comparison lines were really similar and similar to standard line, then you wouldn’t be surprised by finding of experiment  The only reason surprising in this case- A is clearly the wrong answer CONFORMITY, powerful  Student 5, why? He’s a sheep, he can’t think for himself. If going along with everyone else, must really need their approval. Having them like me really matters to me.  Problem with this explanation- doesn’t take into account the function of others, not just because I want them to like me there are no stars to navigate by in life, no source of information for how I should act and think  Like them or not, I need them without them I am lost, couldn’t even take one step, even if I did, I wouldn’t know where to go  They have something I need information, not individually but collectively, need them to operate  Anytime we talk about conformity, peer pressure and teenagers arise, individual and no translates: I know you want to be liked by your peers, I know you’re worried that if you don’t go along with them you’re afraid you won’t be liked, but you have to be strong enough to not worry about being liked GARBAGE  More fundamental aspect: the biggie is not them liking me, you can’t just say no to them, they are the source of information in life o If conformity is this powerful, then you can redo the experiment and get the same answer, it doesn’t just show that peer pressure is strong o If social reality (the views of others), is ambiguous its easy to move around o Autokinetic Effect  If put in a black room, no lights, and put on a pin point of light, you will look at that light, and it will not appear stationary, it will appear to move in all directions by a centimeter  As social psychologists, this is interesting- men in experiment and student, and 4 others who are paid by experimenter – for everyone light will dance  Student 1- I see its going back and forth 15 cm to the left and back  Student 2- pin point, 12-13 cm left back and forth  Student 3&4- same  Student 5- unpaid, pin point, yes seems to be moving to the left about 11 cm’s  Now kick out paid student 1, new student, sits beside other student- finally get rid of all paid and get 5 real students and they all day 15 to the left  Demonstrates how cultural values and behaviors gets past on generation to generation, at some point in time in groups history, there’s a reason they did wha
More Less
Unlock Document

Only page 1 are available for preview. Some parts have been intentionally blurred.

Unlock Document
You're Reading a Preview

Unlock to view full version

Unlock Document

OR

Join OneClass

Access over 10 million pages of study
documents for 1.3 million courses.

Join to view

OR

By registering, I agree to the Terms and Privacy Policies
Already have an account?
Just a few more details

So we can recommend you notes for your school.

Reset Password

Please enter below the email address you registered with and we will send you a link to reset your password.

Add your courses

Get notes from the top students in your class.

Submit