PSYC 215 Lecture Notes - Lecture 7: Spreading Activation, Optical Flow, Autobiographical Memory

16 views4 pages

Document Summary

Humans are very concerned with thinking about themselves. Self-knowledge: what is our sense of self, what do you associate with yourself , we are able to think about ourselves, reflexive cognition, william james, reflection on our being involves two parties: Me object of thought: me and i shape each other. Exposed chimpanzees to a full-length mirror for 10 days: at first, chimpanzees thought it was another chimp. Later, chimp used mirror as if it knew it was itself: rouge test, ex: grooming using the mirror. Make a red mark on chimps face. Does it recognize itself and touch ink: does it laugh at goofy chimp , touched head 25x more often when it had rouge. Control: chimps who never used the mirror, didn"t touch their head. Doesn"t usually recognize themselves: distinguish between self and environment, most animals have this. Know not to eat themselves: objective self-awareness, simple representation of self. Recognition of self: symbolic self-awareness, complex, abstract representation of self.

Get access

Grade+20% off
$8 USD/m$10 USD/m
Billed $96 USD annually
Grade+
Homework Help
Study Guides
Textbook Solutions
Class Notes
Textbook Notes
Booster Class
40 Verified Answers