SOCI 395 Lecture Notes - Lecture 8: Essentialism, Motherhood Penalty, True Women

16 views4 pages
SOCI 495
February 19
Gender Inequality III in the Workplace
• Ho e ad oe ake diffeet aee hoies
Workplace Inequality and Socialized Preferences
Shelley Correll: Gender and Career Choice
• o consensus --> some that believe that are differences between men and women and basic
mathematic aptitude
• Soe ho lai that thee is a diffeee, the adit it's a sall diffeees ad thee's o
mechanism to explain the difference
• Muh lage difference within population of men and women than between the two groups
• Gedeed aee hoies ae ased o eas of gede soializatio ad steeotpes
• Whe ou eliee ou good at soethig, he ou fail, ou ae't disouaged --> for men
and math, women and verbal abilities
Paula England: The Gender Revolution: Uneven and Stalled
• Wokplae ieualities fous
• Itesetio of gede ad lass
• To otiatios
1. Do better than their parents
2. Remain in occupations that are historically dominated by women/men (depending on sex)
Most of bind to essentialist assumptions about what women/men are good at and should
do
• Loe lass oe: ale to ahiee oth goals, i s/s loe lass household the it’s a
good hae ou othe did’t work. Any paid work out of the house is a sense that you're
doing better than your mom: Able to do better than your mom, but stay in the safe zone, gender
conforming, win/win situation
• The fe oe that e hae see ete ale pofessios ae iddle lass women --> in
order to do better than their moms they had to enter some male dominated professions like
lawyer, engineers, doctors
Yes we've seen some change, and the change has to do with those already in the middle
class
Critique of Correll and England
• Ipotat pat of the eplaatio ut the ae oth fouses o oe's CHOICES
• Neglet to speak aout hoie of eploees, aage, opoatios, osses, o-workers -->
they miss the structural constraints
• Costaits that offe liited opportunities
• Soe oe oe tha efoe hae a hoie aout thei futue
• But oe toda hae elatiel little hoie --> women in the class are not a representative
sample in society
• Soe women didn't have resources for education --> Not a choice
• Liited if ou oe fo a fail ad ou do't hae help, ou ight iss out o
opportunities that others would have
• Disiiatio i the okplaes, iases i hiig/jo taiig, etoks
• Choies ae ade  ogaizatios, ot  eploees
find more resources at oneclass.com
find more resources at oneclass.com
Unlock document

This preview shows page 1 of the document.
Unlock all 4 pages and 3 million more documents.

Already have an account? Log in

Document Summary

Gender inequality iii in the workplace: ho(cid:449) (cid:373)e(cid:374) a(cid:374)d (cid:449)o(cid:373)e(cid:374) (cid:373)ake diffe(cid:396)e(cid:374)t (cid:272)a(cid:396)ee(cid:396) (cid:272)hoi(cid:272)es. Social problems that mainly hurt women: message that what men do and like is more important. Why not similar in the news: turn of the century, 75% of journalists are men, now men account for 64, at first glance this seems to be true, women are more likely to report on social issues, entertainment. Soci 495: progress over last 50 years but its plateauing. More or less equal: the gap at the top (many mentions in the newspaper) has increased. This 5:1 gap, men are more out there more, but the other half is what happens in the media because they are mentioned more. Do we need to account for public interest: is the pu(cid:271)li(cid:272) (cid:373)o(cid:396)e i(cid:374)te(cid:396)ested i(cid:374) fa(cid:373)ous (cid:373)e(cid:374)/(cid:449)o(cid:373)e(cid:374), wikipedia sea(cid:396)(cid:272)hes, the pu(cid:271)li(cid:272) is (cid:373)o(cid:396)e i(cid:374)te(cid:396)ested in famous females than males.

Get access

Grade+20% off
$8 USD/m$10 USD/m
Billed $96 USD annually
Grade+
Homework Help
Study Guides
Textbook Solutions
Class Notes
Textbook Notes
Booster Class
40 Verified Answers