September 17th 2012
Totals and Subtotals
- Totals and Subtotals
- Totals available through the "Total Row" box
- Subtotals can only be applied to ranges
- Sort the data by the column you want to subtotal
- "Convert to Range"
- Data tab, Outline group, Subtotal button
- "At each change in" (sorted column)
- Outline levels allow you to view the data in various levels of detail
- You can replace the specific cell or range address with a structured reference,
the actual table name or column header
- Qualified vs. unqualified references
- Unqualified references don't include the table name.
- You can use unqualified references in a calculated column or formula within an
Excel table, however you need to use qualified references outside the table or in another
worksheet when referring to an Excel table or a portion of the table.
- Sometimes large tables can be difficult to interpret
- PivotTables allow us to summarize data into categories using functions (detailed
data is not showed)
- Quick and concise analysis
- Named as such since data can easily be "pivoted".
- Values fields - the fields containing the data to be summarized
- Category fields - the fields