• Examines functions of educational institutions (selection, socialization, etc.)
1. Smartest students and hardest working get "selected"
2. Streamed into either post-secondary or Labour force
3. Contest mobility - most high school prepare students for uni
4. Sponsored mobility - have to take a test when 14 to determine your future
1. Schools socialize children
2. Schools are taking on the role of the church, as in morals
3. Meritoscraphy - reward for hard work, high intelligence
4. "schools reward the best students regardless of their background"
• Educational institutions reproduce class-based inequalities
• Sociology background is the main determinant for future success
Racism in Canadian university
• Henry and Gator (2009)
• Camille Hernandez-Ramdwar: experiences if Caribbean students
• Racism is an matter of impact, not intent
"Chilly climate" - school is so white that once visible minorities get in they want to leave right