Global Development Studies
Course
DEVS 100
Professor
Richard Day
Semester
Winter

Description
Devs Week 15 1/22/2013 6:34:00 AM Official discourses on settler-indigenous relations  “We‟re so self-effacing as Canadians that we sometimes forget the assets we do have that other people see.”  “We are one of the most stable regimes in history.”  “We also have no history of colonialism.”  “So we ** Guest Lecture – Bob Lovelace  Commonly think that Columbus was the first to discover North America  People from Western Europe were frequently in North America for a long time o When the indigenous people saw people approaching they quickly got in their canoes and tried to sell and trade their goods  Western Europe was in an economic decline o Reliant on the capital from the Gold and Silver that came out of Mexico  “It appears to me, that the people are ingenious, and world be good servants and I am of opinion that they would very readily become Christians, as they appear to have no religion.” – Columbus (?) Christianity was culture, was civilization (at the time of Columbus)  “it appears to me that the people are ingenious, and would be good servants and I am of the opinion that they would very readily become Christians, as they appear to have no religion” o these people could be civilized (Christians) Royal Proclamation of 1763  Created a class system o A lot to do w/ relationships w/ aboriginal people o B/c some people can buy land, others are landless  landless used the land to try to make money this destroyed nature Lecture 2 1/22/2013 6:34:00 AM Multiculturalism is not enough  Fantasy of multiculturalism is really quite tame  State form mediates our relationships o State prevents contact o State prevents the “disease of otherness” from the self  How about an „organic‟ or „grassroots‟ „multiculturalism‟ … o Something that emerges when people share a space and want to share w/ each other o Just simple interaction  … coupled with work on anti-racism?  How about solidarity? What is solidarity?  “I stand beside you, as you stand against an (oppressive) Other” – Chandra Mohanty  (dictionary app) unity or agreement of feeling or action, esp. among individuals with a common interest; mutual support within a group: factory workers voiced solidarity with the striking students.  Not charity  Risk/expend your privilege  Both individual and collective components Critical Indigenous Discourse (thesis of the 4 thworld)  Settler Canada was created, and is maintained, through the denigration of Native peoples, theft of their
More Less

Related notes for DEVS 100

OR

Join OneClass

Access over 10 million pages of study
documents for 1.3 million courses.

Join to view

OR

By registering, I agree to the Terms and Privacy Policies
Already have an account?
Just a few more details

So we can recommend you notes for your school.

Reset Password

Please enter below the email address you registered with and we will send you a link to reset your password.

Add your courses

Get notes from the top students in your class.

Submit