HIST 121 Lecture Notes - Lecture 2: Tabula Rasa, Commonwealth Of England, Gunpowder Plot

17 views4 pages

Document Summary

The european context: 1648 peace of westphalia after 100 years of warfare, the rise of absolute monarchies: kings are gods. King james i of england and scotland. King louis xic of france: the effect of mercantilism. Maximizing valuable assets in the countries possession: tariff barriers, fixed wages, high domestic taxes. The path of britain: imperial and mercantilist expansion. Re-conquest of ireland: the english civil war. Cromwell and english commonwealth: religious tensions. Gunpowder plot (1605) blow up king james i and parliament. Catholic king james ii and the glorious revolution (1688) Wednesday, january 18, 2017: lord chancellor of england under king james i, early arguments for empirical and inductive reasoning. Called for a total reconstruction of all human knowledge . Scientific method must be built upon observation-based information. Rejection of descartes and deductive knowledge: rejection of first principles, if innate knowledge explains all the work, what significance do our senses have, bacon"s solution to the flawed mirror/sense: observation and experiment.

Get access

Grade+20% off
$8 USD/m$10 USD/m
Billed $96 USD annually
Grade+
Homework Help
Study Guides
Textbook Solutions
Class Notes
Textbook Notes
Booster Class
40 Verified Answers