POLS 250 (83)

Pols250 winter term notes part 2 (Hegl).docx

2 Pages
Unlock Document

Queen's University
Political Studies
POLS 250
Colin Farrelly

Pols250 winter term notes part 2 (Hegel)  Secret slide 1 o What I ought to do?  Answer provide by the institutions  Family: What duties do I have to fulfill? How do you balance these with that you want to do? Offers you guidance on how you are to live your life.  State: Obligations to respect institutionalized properties ie. Right to property.  Many of our actions can be explained because we have thee identities in the abovementioned institutions.  Secret slide 2 o Hegel on freedom part 1  “free agent is one who limits himself, but in this other is with himself”  What does it need? There is an subjective and objective condition  Secret slide 3 o Hegel on freedom part 2  Freedom as rational self-determination: captures the two elements mentioned above. If you went with just one of them, you are an empty moral agent on the one in which you are missing.  Different from contract theory  locke: What form of government would free and equal people consent to. There is an account that there are free people and they consent t a free government. In SON you are free.  Hegel: social constitutions play a vital role in shaping us as free and rational individuals. No free agents in SON. State plays a formative role in shaping your identity-liberals viewed this as straining peoples freedom. Says there is no free individual prior to the state.  Secret slide 4 o Objections to freedom  Doesn’t have intuitive traction (doesn’t match with liberty)  Imposes a split personality on human beings (two distinct selves- rational vs. empirical)  Opens door to authoritarianism (allows
More Less

Related notes for POLS 250

Don't have an account?

Join OneClass

Access over 10 million pages of study
documents for 1.3 million courses.

Join to view

By registering, I agree to the Terms and Privacy Policies
Already have an account?
Just a few more details

So we can recommend you notes for your school.

Reset Password

Please enter below the email address you registered with and we will send you a link to reset your password.

Add your courses

Get notes from the top students in your class.