BLG 307 (38)
Clare Chua (38)

Outline of Lectures 08 and 09

4 Pages
Unlock Document

Ryerson University
BLG 307
Clare Chua

Outline of Lectures 08 and 09 Antigen Recognition by T Cells, I and II I. Importance of T lymphocytes - Both T and B cells are needed to generate an Ab response (Claman reconstitution expt) - Helper T cells activate B cells to produce Ab - Cytotoxic T cells are the other type of T cell, which actively kill other cells - T cells are clonally selected via Ag recognition by the T cell receptor - T cell Ag recognition is similar (e.g. TCR, Ig are homologous) to that in B cells, but distinct in mechanism - T cells develop in the thymus (this is the principle function of this organ) II. T Cells Recognize Ag by a Unique Mechanism - T cells recognize linear 9-10 aa peptide sequences - T cells only recognize Ag’s presented on the surfaces of other cells (APC’s such as dendritic cells or macrophages) - MHC restriction: the MHC allele expressed on the APC must be correct to stimulate T cells III. Major Histocompatibility Complex A) Discovery of the MHC - discovered by mapping cell surface antigen responsible for tumor graft rejection - the surface antigen is the MHC, recipient and donor must have matching MHC’s for graft to be accepted - the MHC is called H-2 in mice and HLA in humans B) The MHC locus encodes three classes of molecules MHC Class I - Dimer of αchain and β2m (not in locus) - Three types, HLA A, B, C (in mouse, H-2K, -2D, -2L) - Expressed on all cell surfaces except neurons and RBC - Special subclass Ib is nonpolymorphic and tissue specific, related to bacterial pathogen response MHC Class II - Heterodimer of αand β chains - Three types DP, DQ, DR (in mouse I-A, I-E) - Only expressed on APC’s MHC Class III - related to complement and cytokines, irrelevant to this topic C) MHC genes are highly polymorphic - polymorphism in HLA genes for both class I and II is “balanced” - nomenclature: HLA A*(allele #) (in mouse, superscript is allele type) - most variation is localized to Ag binding domains (α α1i2 class I, α β1 1 in class II) D) MHC restriction is mediated by specific recognition by the TCR - T cells are activated only if APC expresses the correct MHC - Can test which MHC is responsible directly (correlate genotypes with response) or by specific blocking with antibodies - Only one TCR needed to recogn
More Less

Related notes for BLG 307

Don't have an account?

Join OneClass

Access over 10 million pages of study
documents for 1.3 million courses.

Join to view

By registering, I agree to the Terms and Privacy Policies
Already have an account?
Just a few more details

So we can recommend you notes for your school.

Reset Password

Please enter below the email address you registered with and we will send you a link to reset your password.

Add your courses

Get notes from the top students in your class.