GEO 509 - Sept 11 notes.docx

2 Pages

Department
Geography
Course Code
GEO 509
Professor
Hersch Jacobs

This preview shows half of the first page. Sign up to view the full 2 pages of the document.
SEPTEMBER 11
“Who eats what, where, why and how” – food definition
- oldest documented human behavior: picking teeth
- secure food and water: human enterprise
- primary economic activity: hunting, fishing, farming (3 basic sources of food)
- farming takes up most of the land
- converts nature to human landscape
- agriculture most important economic activity (250 million farmers worldwide)
- human enterprise (1000 different types of plants) – there are key ones
- 1/3 of planet involved in agriculture (production)
- about 40% of population worldwide involved in agriculture (about 2% in Canada)
- Canada is part of the food export (we export more than we import)
- In the whole long history time frame, agriculture is fairly new, it was learned and invented
- 1st agriculture revolution: began 10 000 years ago – nourishment
i) makes it more reliable food source
ii) enables us to derive more food value than what nature supply’s (Increase supply)
- for example: don’t eat wheat or flour – talk what nature provides and makes accessible
- can’t have agriculture without land ownership
- Aboriginal don’t understand “private property”
- Ox is a castrated bull: force animal to grow bigger, stronger – pull heavy plows
- Veal – male holstering (black and white cow)
- most animals and plants now have manipulated both plants and animals in ways which fit us
best
- “The Dark Ages” 750 AD (or Western Europe) lost a lot of knowledge (ex. Food, cooking,
astronomy)
- they did not lose Latin translation and emerge of religious powers.
- Trappist menu: brought cheese moving knowledge in Oka (city just outside MTL)
- brewing took place in monasteries
- country made the dish based on what country best grows (most efficiently) (wheat, Asia: rice,
South America: corn, potatoes)
- greatest unit of output for very little input
- every country internationally- as country and people prosper, the wealth that is accumulated
goes to improve diet (more, better, higher quality)
- fusion cuisine: cuisine of one place brought to another (Indian and Chinese – Hakka) it has
always been around
- all cuisine is considered a fusion cuisine
- some places only decided to travel beyond their area is due to want to find new foods
- *Brillat Savarin said “ tell me what you eat and I will tell you who you are”
- a meal talks about class, ethnicity, family structure, environment, etc.
- The amount of fat and way you eat it tells you more about who you are rather than the
car you drive
- Neither diet more revealing than the area or nature
- One sure thing about food is it never just food

Loved by over 2.2 million students

Over 90% improved by at least one letter grade.

Leah — University of Toronto

OneClass has been such a huge help in my studies at UofT especially since I am a transfer student. OneClass is the study buddy I never had before and definitely gives me the extra push to get from a B to an A!

Leah — University of Toronto
Saarim — University of Michigan

Balancing social life With academics can be difficult, that is why I'm so glad that OneClass is out there where I can find the top notes for all of my classes. Now I can be the all-star student I want to be.

Saarim — University of Michigan
Jenna — University of Wisconsin

As a college student living on a college budget, I love how easy it is to earn gift cards just by submitting my notes.

Jenna — University of Wisconsin
Anne — University of California

OneClass has allowed me to catch up with my most difficult course! #lifesaver

Anne — University of California
Description
SEPTEMBER 11 “Who eats what, where, why and how” – food definition - oldest documented human behavior: picking teeth - secure food and water: human enterprise - primary economic activity: hunting, fishing, farming (3 basic sources of food) - farming takes up most of the land - converts nature to human landscape - agriculture most important economic activity (250 million farmers worldwide) - human enterprise (1000 different types of plants) – there are key ones - 1/3 of planet involved in agriculture (production) - about 40% of population worldwide involved in agriculture (about 2% in Canada) - Canada is part of the food export (we export more than we import) - In the whole long history time frame, agriculture is fairly new, it was learned and invented st - 1 agriculture revolution: began 10 000 years ago – nourishment i) makes it more reliable food source ii) enables us to derive more food value than what nature supply’s (Increase supply) - for example: don’t eat wheat or flour – talk what nature provides and makes accessible - can’t have agriculture without land ownership - Aboriginal don’t understand “private property” - Ox is a castrated bull: force animal to grow bigger, stronger – pull heavy plows - Veal – male holstering (black and white cow) - most animals and plants now have manipulated both plants and animals in ways which fit us best - “The Dark Ages” 750 AD (or Western Europe) lost a lot of knowledge (ex. Food, cooking, astronomy) - they did not lose Latin translation and emerge of religious powers. -
More Less
Unlock Document

Only half of the first page are available for preview. Some parts have been intentionally blurred.

Unlock Document
You're Reading a Preview

Unlock to view full version

Unlock Document

OR

Don't have an account?

Join OneClass

Access over 10 million pages of study
documents for 1.3 million courses.

Join to view

OR

By registering, I agree to the Terms and Privacy Policies
Already have an account?
Just a few more details

So we can recommend you notes for your school.

Reset Password

Please enter below the email address you registered with and we will send you a link to reset your password.

Add your courses

Get notes from the top students in your class.

Submit