HST 786 week 1 notes:
- Map of the Islamic world, Europe was not discovered yet, neither was Africa.
- From beginning of Islam of Islam to 1600
- After that things were pretty much changed
- 622 AD was the First Hijrah
- Arabic was the Scientific language
- Greek was translated to Arabic, but scholars did more than just translate, they also contributed
- Muslims started using paper , which was new, it originated from China, and it was cheap
- Because they used papyrus, used a lot of water & made of plant
- Parchment was also used ( under skin of animals)
- The suitable animal was baby sheep, Calf, but they were small, if you wanted to a book, would
be very expensive.
Map with the river Nile, the Arabic maps were upside down, because in those days with self-facing up.
Picture of the eye by Ibn Haitham
- He did something revolutionary, that eyes did not process the image, but the brain!
- He argued that the eye was only optical
- He wondered if we were sending signals to the object, or the object sending signal to us.
Picture of mathematics numbers, which were important
- They needed math for problems like division and inheritance
- Was used for entertainment too
Picture of Alchemy instrument
- Typical instrument for chemistry
- They were supposed to have metal (gold), but they did more than that
- (pic) metal and some kind of substance for mining
- (Pic) used to cool down maybe vapors or for distillation of… an alembic
- (pic) flask for collecting vapors and clear liquid
- (pic) extract olive oil