Human Resources
Course
MHR 741
Professor
Genevieve Farrell
Semester
Fall

Description
Class 7 – October 25, 2012 MHR741 Section 021 – Thursday (10AM-1PM) Supportive Communication (continued)  Strategies are available to help us communicate better; it is an expectation of you as an HR professional  The “You” language: gets people riled up the most; it arouses defensiveness  Focusing on “you” makes it seem like an attack on the other person  The “l” language is less provocative to express concern, complaints, frustration, etc  Must avoid using words that are judgmental and derogatory  The “I” language lets you take ownership of your feelings and your statement  These languages can be learned by everyone, they are skills that can be mastered  It may be awkward, challenging and uncomfortable at first  The “I” language has 3 parts to it: - you must describe what sets you off (the behavior) - take ownership of your statement (the feelings) - the consequences of the behavior (the consequences)  You must think of questions like: what if the situation stays the same? What will it result in?  The “I” language rolls the ball back in the other person’s court - if their behavior does not change, they may not value yo
More Less

Related notes for MHR 741

OR

Join OneClass

Access over 10 million pages of study
documents for 1.3 million courses.

Join to view

OR

By registering, I agree to the Terms and Privacy Policies
Already have an account?
Just a few more details

So we can recommend you notes for your school.

Reset Password

Please enter below the email address you registered with and we will send you a link to reset your password.

Add your courses

Get notes from the top students in your class.

Submit