Music (226)
MUS 505 (82)

Week 7 Lecture 1

3 Pages
Unlock Document

Ryerson University
MUS 505
Kim Chow- Morris

MUS505 – Week 7 Lecture 1 Late 50s to Early 60s - Country and pop charts are ranked quite differently at this time - Country started appearing on pop charts in the early 1990s o Billboard began the use of electronic collection of sales and the number of radio plays instead of reports from outlets - Young country starts began to update their sound dubbed “Countrypolitan” Nashville sounds - Patsy Cline’s “I Fall to Pieces” - #1 and #12 on the pop charts o “Crazy” had similar success on both charts - “Twangyness” is shown on the slide guitar, change from a nasally twangy voice to a more subtle, crooners style of singing SOUL - Gospel blues in hybrid form - Intense melismatic vocals and use of call and response - Interlocking electric bass and drums - Popular in the late 60s but it was pioneered in the 50s by…(?) JAMES BROWN - Also known as “Soul Brother #1” or “The Hardest Working Man in Show Business” - “PAPA’S GOTABRAND NEW BAG” 1965 o Brown’s first #1 pop hit o Lyrics speak of “papas” skills in the twist, monkey, mashed potatoes, fly, jerk and the monkey o 12 bar blues form with an 8 bar bridge after the first two o Call and response between Brown and instruments o Stop time is used in bar 10 of 12 bar blues, building excitement o Instrumental riff has a call and response pattern  Riffs reoccurs in every strophe o Form is ruled by presence/absence o the riff and stop time is not harmonic progression or melody o Static harmony doesn’t even change for bridge o Proto “funk” sound - “SAY IT LOUD—I’M BLACKAND I’M PROUD” 1968 o Harmonic progression is static o Riff based accompaniment o Rhythmic speech/song – signs of early rap music o Political message that reflects the black pride movement and social unrest after Martin Luther King’s assassination o His pieces often include polyrhythms – the layering of different rhythms o His performance Live at theApollo in 1962  He performed a medley of songs live in Harlem and did it without a break ARETHAFRANKLIN - Daughter of a Baptist minister and gospel singer - Recorded R&B and TPA for Columbia Records in 1960-66 - It wasn’t until she recorded forAtlantic Records she gained popularity with more powerful songs in
More Less

Related notes for MUS 505

Don't have an account?

Join OneClass

Access over 10 million pages of study
documents for 1.3 million courses.

Join to view

By registering, I agree to the Terms and Privacy Policies
Already have an account?
Just a few more details

So we can recommend you notes for your school.

Reset Password

Please enter below the email address you registered with and we will send you a link to reset your password.

Add your courses

Get notes from the top students in your class.