BISC 313 Lecture Notes - Lecture 13: Britannia Beach, Howe Sound, Strait Of Georgia

18 views10 pages

Document Summary

Lecture 11 environmental fate and ecotoxicology effects of metals. Historical decommissioned mine case study: britannia mine: history of pollution and effects, recent ecotox studies, biodiversity as an endpoint, kelp toxicity bioassay for marine effluent/site water toxicity testing. Britannia mine is located in mountain adjacent to howe sound which is: 43 km long fjord that opens in the georgia strait. High pelagic and coastal biodiversity historically and recovering from: pollution from industry: lumber processing (present) and metal mining, pulp mill, chloralkali plant, site for lng project. Metal mining and pulp mills since the beginning of the 20th century: contaminants discharged in industrial effluents e. g. organochlorines (dioxins and furans, metals (copper, zinc, and iron, sulphuric acid, mercury. One of the largest point sources of metal pollution in north america: Britiannia copper mine (operational 1905 1974 and then abandoned) Decreased survival and growth of organisms in creek and nearshore: Toxic effects on na ve transplanted mussels and algae.

Get access

Grade+20% off
$8 USD/m$10 USD/m
Billed $96 USD annually
Grade+
Homework Help
Study Guides
Textbook Solutions
Class Notes
Textbook Notes
Booster Class
40 Verified Answers