CMNS 388 Lecture Notes - Lecture 3: Postfeminism, White Privilege, Bell Hooks

62 views5 pages

Document Summary

Increased conversations where patriarchal relations improve as the problems persist: nowhere near achieving liberation for all. Feminism in vogue again: ou(cid:396) p(cid:396)i(cid:373)e (cid:373)i(cid:374)iste(cid:396) de(cid:272)la(cid:396)es hi(cid:373)self a fe(cid:373)i(cid:374)ist; sa(cid:455)s (cid:449)e should(cid:374)(cid:859)t (cid:271)e af(cid:396)aid of the (cid:449)o(cid:396)d. Neoliberalism adopted elements of the counter-cultural anti-authority politics of the 1960s, including feminism. Capitalism is now linked to disruption innovation, diversity, and freedom. Ableism is new the destination for neoliberal capitalism. Separates economic independence from need to eliminate sexism and other forms of oppression (power feminism seeking class mobility by complying with normative order: ends up steering discourse around pay equality and erases from agenda of eliminating other oppressions. Achieving equality while not oppressing other groups in society. Script: social scripts, gender scripts, class scripts (enacting accepted scenarios of presentation and behaviour: enacting scripts are like living out scenarios that are described. Upholds the current white supremacist capitalist hetero-patriarchal order (bell hooks) They benefit and have certain defensiveness that come with privileged conversations.

Get access

Grade+20% off
$8 USD/m$10 USD/m
Billed $96 USD annually
Grade+
Homework Help
Study Guides
Textbook Solutions
Class Notes
Textbook Notes
Booster Class
40 Verified Answers